99 GS

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
Until last week my dad's 99 GS that he bought new had been a DD for my mother and he. Now my mom has her own car, so dad wants to play with his some since his GN is currently down for a while. What are some decently priced (free are better) mods we can do to his car to add some extra power and efficiency to the motor? Not looking to go crazy, just want to up the fun factor whicle running 92 octane. Let's hear em boy and girls that have been there...done that! TIA

free or super cheap I would start with some colder copper plugs like autolite 104's ,a 180* t stat , delete the u bend and resonator with straight pipe , make a homemade intake with 4" smooth intake tubing from zzp or intense , 2 feet will be more than enough and its about $10 a foot , put a cone filter on the end of it and use a roof flashing to keep the engine by heat out of the intake ( filter goes in fenderwell) you can heat wrap it with reflectix or cutup one of those reflective windshield interior protectors and hose clamp/wire tie it on.

"flip " the upper motor mounts - lube the rubber inserts real well prying with a flat blade to get wd 40 or similar in the area where rubber meets metal and use the same hardware that holds the "dogbones" to the mounts to index the rubber inserts 90* (1/4 turn) awesome free mod you will feel the response as soon as you move the car.

remove the engine lifting brackets before doing the plugs and save them , they will make plug access much better and if you ever need to remove the engine you could replace them but theres plenty of other stuff to hook onto , takes a couple pounds out , maybe 5 for free . remove the sc plastic cover , it just traps heat.

all this can run real low 14's add some weight removal or a tune and your flirting with 13.9's for a hundred and change.

next step would be headers and pulley (3.5) this should put it high 13's solid for $500 if you buy used parts , I ran 13.5 on less but race in a cold climate , at sea level and only on good DA nights lol.

if he wants 12's it will cost a lot more unless you go with a lot of weight removal and theres many paths there , intercooled , cammed , e85 , spray , etc...

a guy on the regal forum went 11.9 last year with $900 total including purchase of the car - lot of weight removal , used basic mods , and spray....

I was talking to hevykevy from Chicago out at the Norwalk show and he said these cars don't like methanol . Is this true? Are they just using a crappy kit or something ? I figured if anyone would know it would be you murph

Not many people have been successful with alcohol injection on the SC cars. Like the Turbo Regals, get rid of knock, then up the boost by running a smaller pulley. I would start with a scan tool of some sorts.

Kevy knows what he is doing , his car is now low 11's and aiming for the w body regal record of 10.9@127 ( his trap is allready there).

It is true that common knowledge in fwd 3800 circles is that it isnt worth while just install in intercooler and pulley down , many in the past supposedly tried with no positive results. How hard these people tried and how skilled they were with tuning who knows - I have never seen anyone with a known clue put any effort into it , it gets brought up , everyone discourages it and they go another route.

It would be nice to see someone figure it out as there are other roots sc platforms that have gotten good results. Also there are people getting excellent results running e85 blends and dropping pulleys - it should work but I cant tell you someone has done it successfully on this platform.... If anyone can figure it out it would be someone with full knowledge from another platform- like a GN wink ,wink

I have also taken the catalytic converter off but now I have service engine light on is there a way that I can get it to turn off

With the cat removed you will either have to turn off the rear 02 code with a tuner , buy a off road canned tune with the code turned off , or run an 02 emulator/spoof to make the PCM think the cat is still there

They shutdown vendors from selling them so you will find used ones on the 3800 specific forums in the for sale sections regalgs.org admin is mr wild above lol club gp , 3800pro etc...