98 olds intrigue 3.8 super swap?

racemybuick

Hot Air Teacher/Student
I have a 1998 Olds Intrigue, and it has the 3.8 n/a motor in it currently... Mods to date: caspers TPS enhancer, thrasher cold air box with K&N, performance exhaust, and some suspension upgrades. My question to the gurus: Can I install a 3.8 supercharger from one of the sc regals or GTP's, or do I need to swap out the entire motor? any advice???

john

Figure on changing out the whole engine. There are some signifigant internal differences in the engines. You will also need the ECU for the S/C engine. If you want your tranny to hold up with the S/C engine, you either need to convert it to the HD unit, or better yet, grt yourself a doner car and switch out the whole engine / transmission.

A signifigant swap to be sure, if you are a Olds fan like myself it is about the only choice other than the 1992-1993 98 Touring Sedans, the 1994 to early 1995 98 98 Elite (all less than ideal for performance increases series I S/C equipped) or the 1996 to early 1998 88 LSS (Series II S/C) Unfortuantly even these cars are very rare with the optional supercharged engines.

Good luck with this.

David

you need all of the following from a supercharged vehicle:
Heads
Fuel Rails
Fuel Injectors
Pullies (2 idlers and one crank)
Supercharger and throttle body
MAP sensor and MAP sensor bracket
Lower Intake Manifold
Valve Covers
Coil Bracket

plus all new gaskets and bolts

thanks guys. I figured it would be the same as any motor swap, needing gaskets and a donor of some kind. The guy really has this car hooked up, and I hate to rip everything out just for the swap, at the same time, I would love to see 13's in it!!! lol.. It is clean, fun, and I think would make a great sleeper!!!

Thanks!!

John:biggrin:

Yes, it unfortuanlty is a bit more than just adding the supercharger, GM tweaked the whole drivetrain to work properly and have the expected durability with the increased power.

At least you can credit GM with doing it right :)

David

GM tweaked the whole drivetrain to work properly and have the expected durability with the increased power.

At least you can credit GM with doing it right :)

David

really the only thing is the transmission...the only difference between the l67 transmission(4t65E-HD) and the NA transmission(4t65E) is the differential, which can easily be swapped out.

the bottom end is good for 500HP+

nitrous will get you 13's;)

you can put the supercharger on it. just go to ZZPerformance they have everything. although as you mod the na 3800 for some work do like you would with a sc 3800. buy a race tranny cause you will need one soon