9-sec OD trans: 4L80e or 400 w/ Gear vendors OD?

GN SBS

I'm going to be selling my 200 and doing a trans swap this winter and am looking for some information on trade-offs between the good ole 400 and the 4L80e.

My goal: Reliable trans for mid-9s, trans brake, OD. Would this best be met with a 400 and a GV OD or a 4L80e?

I've done a fair amount of sifting through the archives here, but I'd like to better understand the trade-offs around a couple of areas:

• Weight: Is there a major wet weight difference between the 4L80e and a 400 WITH the GV overdrive installed (assume good converters for each)? My sense is no, but there's a surprising lack of clear info on what these weigh around.
    [*]
  • Efficiency: What's known about efficiency / parasitic loss differences between the two? Suspect it's not enough to care about, but am curious.
    [*]
  • Control: Does the electronic control of the 4L80e (via TCI trans controller or whatever...) work reasonably well? I'm running XFI, but always shudder a bit at adding another electronic controller to the combo.
    [*]
  • Durability, install, and cost: If well built, both should more than handle what I'm going to throw at it, but any differences expected in the frequency of refreshes I'd be looking at? Any significant differences in install requirements between the two in terms of modification, fabrication, etc...? Finally, this isn't going to be a cheap trans, but are there any cost considerations too factor in beyond the trans and converter for each? About where do folks think I'll end up in $s for a complete setup including controllers, install bits needed, etc...

I'm Philly-based and have a number of good choices in terms of good trans shops to work with (CK, Michael's Transmissions, Deltrans, etc.). My thanks in advance for the help in thinking through some of these trade-offs.

Scott

Neither! Consider a 3rd option

Have chris over at CK build you a Aod-E

1. Lighter than both of the other options
2. 3 different ratios to choose from 2.20, 2.40, or 2.84 first gears
3. lock up converter in either single disc or multi-disc
4. electronic controls are very similar to 4l80-E
5. Do not need a lot of fancy parts $$$ to take the power your talking about.
6. Get to watch people cringe when you tell them you have a FORD trans in a GM product. (this one is my favorite) :biggrin: :biggrin:

7. I don't want to give you false hope, but either of the 3 options you have will not be cheap, but i wouldn't expect it to break the bank either.

Mike