9.281 @ 146.99

Over the last few days, I've been looking over some compressor maps and the Garret GT4718 looks to be my dream turbocharger. The engine sim responded to it in a way that can't be ignored. With this turbocharger the true limiting factors for the engine will be the head flow and cylinder pressures.

What size exhaust housing would you go with?

What size exhaust housing would you go with?
I ran the sim using a turbine nozzle size similar to my T76 setup and it looks awesome! I'm going to start off with the .9 a/r housing. The smallest.

I ran the boost from 30 thru 43 psi and the outputs are absolutely dreamy.

With this turbo, it looks like my heads will be limiting output to 1200 HP, if I have the huevos to ignore the BMEP and cylinder pressure numbers. :eek: The knock numbers say grey area.

Chevota. Take a serious look at this turbo.

Over the weekend I updated the sim software and there are more turbo inputs, making the outputs better. I was able to better see that the boost problem I had with the T76 (boost decreasing by the end of the track) was from running out of flow capacity of the turbo. I had hit the wall with the T76.

I ran the sim using a turbine nozzle size similar to my T76 setup and it looks awesome! I'm going to start off with the .9 a/r housing. The smallest.

With this turbo, it looks like my heads will be limiting output to 1200 HP, if I have the huevos to ignore the BMEP and cylinder pressure numbers. :eek: The knock numbers say grey area.

Chevota. Take a serious look at this turbo.

Over the weekend I updated the sim software and there are more turbo inputs, making the outputs better. I was able to better see that the boost problem I had with the T76 (boost decreasing by the end of the track) was from running out of flow capacity of the turbo. I had hit the wall with the T76.

I would love to take a serious look at that turbo but after reading the specs I have a good feeling spool up would be a issue with my 231, even if N2O was utilized. I prefer to keep my revs below 7000 and it seems to me that turbo is more suited for applications above that range with better flow characteristics. But what do I know?:D Where can I get a copy of that sim program?

Performance Trends.

I'm looking at the Borg Warner S480 also. Some interesting new technology there.

I have extra Stage II Heads buddy.....:eek:

It looks like I'll have to consider a larger a/r on the turbine housing. I started increasing the a/r in the sim and peak HP and exhaust back pressure results kept getting better and better up to a nozzle diameter of 2.45". The starting nozzle diameter was 2.10". The point that target boost is reached is later (5500 rpm), but that helps keep me away from too high cylinder pressures in the midrange. I tried the Borg Warner S475 and it's too small.

The S480 with a T4 1.10 a/r turbine housing just might be the ticket. Or the GT4580.

What about your fuel system Don? Pump, regulator, feed size, return size, etc etc.....:confused:

Fuel System

Fuel: methanol

3 gallon Flo-max fuel cell.

Fuel pump: Weldon C-2035-A, 180 GPH @ 70 psi. Kenne Bell boost-a-pump is activated @ low boost. Dial is set at lowest setting.

Fuel pressure relief valve: Kinsler, referenced model #12104. psi range: 34-80.

Filters:
Pre-pump - Kinsler 45 micron, Mega Monster Mesh (stainless mesh element).
After pump - Peterson canister with 60 micron stainless mesh element. Right after the pump.
Fuel rail filters - Peterson inline 60 micron stainless mesh elements located after the Y-block and before each fuel rail and the nitrous solenoid.
Small thimble filters in the electronic injectors are eliminated.
Anodized aluminum fittings and stainless mesh covered rubber hoses.

-12 AN hose size from the fuel cell to the pre-filter and then to the pump.
-10 AN hose size from the pump to the after-pump filter and then to the fuel Y-block in the engine compartment.
Two -8 AN from the Y-block to each of two fuel rails.
-6 AN from the Y-block to a T-fitting at the nitrous fuel solenoid.
-4 AN from the T-fitting at the nitrous fuel solenoid to a T-fitting at the entrance of one of the main fuel rails.
-6 AN return.

Idle fuel pressure is set at 45 psi.

A gas program is loaded into the ECU and the entire fuel system is flushed with gasoline after each day of racing to control corrosion.

absolutely amazing. very impressive numbers and an equally impressing set up. just a few quick questions, i skimmed the other posts and didn't see either of these asked, so if i'm asking again then find a big stick and threaten to hit me with it until i read more or something.

why 200hp of nitrous? I used a 75 shot on my car to spool the turbo to 15# and then shut it down. it happened nearly instantly, i would say half a second or so as your seeing with your 200hp. so why so much? it would seem like that would give you all kinds of traction problems and end up breaking extra stuff. just seems like over kill.

is that intercooler under the car as small as it looks?

With methanol as the fuel, the rating of the nitrous system is more than cut in half. I figure I was getting maybe 80HP out of the system, even with the nitrous jets at a size to provide 200HP (using gasoline). Of course, the fuel jet sizes were much larger to provide the correct a/f ratio with the alcohol, plus some extra (80 lbs/hr constant flow) to augment the 160 lbs/hr injectors.

That is a liquid to liquid intercooler. Flow capacity is 1500 cfm. Spearco tanks. ARE core. Some people would say I really don't need or shouldn't use an intercooler using methanol fuel. I feel it allowed me to get away with what I was able to. 11.25 to one CR and as much as 26-27 psi unintended boost spikes (short duration) at a moderate A/F ratio. The CR has since been lowered to allow more of a safety cushion.