86 grill

Tdishon

I'm a noobie...
I have an 86 GN and part of the grill is chrome. I like the complete black grills. Is all black standard on the 87 or is everyone painting them?
Also like the tinted tail lights with LED.
Are there covers or just a nice tint paint job?
Thanks for any help.

the chrome strip on the grill is one of the very few cosmetic differences between the 86 and 87. I believe your car has black pull straps on the doors, doesn't it?

No NOS grills but there is someone repopping them. Get ready for sticker shock though. Painting the chrome strip might start looking better.

I think the chrome grills are hard to find so don't paint it unless it's in bad shape already.

Go to a vinyl graphics shop and get a strip of the satin black vinyl. Take your grill off your car. Take some grease and wax remover and wash the chrome area on your grill. Make sure the strip is a good bit wider then you need. Peel back and apply the vinyl and start rubbing it in place. You can even get the buick lettering to show thru it if done correctly. If your not sure you can do it, the vinyl shop will do it, more the likely.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ill trade you my all black 87 grill if someone can confirm it is an exact swap.

It's an exact swap. It's just the bolts on the top and the two springs on the bottom.

My 86 grill is NOS. Pefect condition. I would want a perfect 87 grill. So its just the chrome?
I see after market 87's for around $300. Not sure of the quality though.

My 86 has a 87 grill on it, it fits perfect
I am actually considering getting the correct 86 grill for my car as 86s have lower production #s

I actually like the look of the 86 grill, the Crome is a nice accent. Maybe because mine is an 86, but I do like the look of it.

I also like the chrome strips on the 86. But the 87 would give it a more bad ass look. Here is an idea where you won't destroy the grill. Just plasti dip the chrome parts this way if you want to go back without any damage.

Go to a vinyl graphics shop and get a strip of the satin black vinyl. Take your grill off your car. Take some grease and wax remover and wash the chrome area on your grill. Make sure the strip is a good bit wider then you need. Peel back and apply the vinyl and start rubbing it in place. You can even get the buick lettering to show thru it if done correctly. If your not sure you can do it, the vinyl shop will do it, more the likely.

That's a good idea Coach,never thought of that!!!!

the chrome strip on the grill is one of the very few cosmetic differences between the 86 and 87. I believe your car has black pull straps on the doors, doesn't it?
glad you posted that up as i thought that that was a butchery by a previous owner. i have a lot to learn about this 86.

I have an 86 I changed to the 87 grille bolted right up,I think the all black grill just finishes the blackout look perfectly.I bought a used one from a member here about 2 years ago.

86 grilles are GN only differant than a t-type grille .
If it is a good grille i wouldnt touch it .They are not repoped and are going up up up in value .87 grilles are a dime a dozen.I have 3 86 grilles Im saving for retirement moneyBTW they look stupid painted or blacked out