'85 in a '82

newwguyy

Im pulling my carbed 82 from the regal sport, and attempting to put in a 85 hot air complete with harness and computer...can anyone come up with any potential problems that I may encounter so I can prepare ahead of time. I will need a new gas tank and fuel pump at least, right?

Anyone? How about the gas tank, Im assuming I will need one out of a 84-85, how do I run the fuel line/electrical? thanks in advance.

Hope I'm not too late to answer...I dont come into the hotair posts too often anymore. To swap ANY of the SFI setups into your pre-SFI car...you will have to deal with the fuel lines and the lack of a fuel pump in the tank of your older car. You may be able to hack together a homemade fuel line system that will work but it would probably be easier to find some original fuel lines off either an 84-85, or 86-87 Turbo car. The original lines for the 84-85 turbo cars had a fuel filter mounted to the side of the engine block, while the 86-87 cars had the filter at the rear by the tank. I converted my 85 GN to an 87 motor and due to the fact I was in a hurry forgot about the filter and had to cut into the fuel line in the back and install an inline filter. I would recommend you find a fuel tank from an 84-87 TR or one of the 4.3 Vortec El Camino's or Monte Carlos that have the pump in the tank, and then hotwire the fuel pump (which you will want to do anyway if you are going to race it).