84 T Type performance?

vader6

Turbo Buick enthusiast
Hello,
I'm new to the T Type scene and I'm sure my questions have been asked hundreds of times before, but I need some solid advice before I get committed to throwing any money and time at this car. I had a 84 T Type fall into my lap, pretty much stole it. It is a california car, 69K miles, all original. Been in controlled storage for 10 years or so. Hasn't moved since. Now, my endgame is a IC car, no doubt...if I can get this car on the street for reasonable money I will do it, then flip it. So, the question is, what am I facing in terms of the car been sitting for so long, and what sort of obvious parts list will I need. Second, if it's possible, what does it take to get a HA car to perform at the level of a stock IC car? Parts and money required to do so? Thanks in advance for any and all help!! Oh yeah, any idea what this car is worth in current shape, no rot, good interior, good trim, good repaint in early 2000s. Its a solid car.

Do the spring cleaning, add hw and pump, leave it stock and sell it.
The HA is not for everyone as it requires tenacity and some thinking to make it quick.

Last edited:
Do the spring cleaning, add hw and pump, leave it stock and sell it.
The HA is not for everyone as it requires tenacity and some thinking to make it quick.
add hw and pump, please explain thanks

I'll buy it for 500 over what you paid..

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

I got all the parts i need to start playing again. Best to leave it to me to get her running in tip top to kill some IC cars

I went down this road with a hot air. Take the advise and sell it once you get running. This car will empty your wallet real fast.

Hello,
I'm new to the T Type scene and I'm sure my questions have been asked hundreds of times before, but I need some solid advice before I get committed to throwing any money and time at this car. I had a 84 T Type fall into my lap, pretty much stole it. It is a california car, 69K miles, all original. Been in controlled storage for 10 years or so. Hasn't moved since. Now, my endgame is a IC car, no doubt...if I can get this car on the street for reasonable money I will do it, then flip it. So, the question is, what am I facing in terms of the car been sitting for so long, and what sort of obvious parts list will I need. Second, if it's possible, what does it take to get a HA car to perform at the level of a stock IC car? Parts and money required to do so? Thanks in advance for any and all help!! Oh yeah, any idea what this car is worth in current shape, no rot, good interior, good trim, good repaint in early 2000s. Its a solid car.
After years of head scratching and $$ spending on the HA motor, I can tell you straight up it cost me about $4,500 to convert mine. I had fun with the hot air but I always wanted the IC. Just save your $$ and your hair and either buy a COMPLETE IC set up, motor/trans etc... Or sell the car and buy an 86/87. I kept my 85 for its rarity and did the conversion once I got to know these cars a lil better.

I got all the parts i need to start playing again. Best to leave it to me to get her running in tip top to kill some IC cars

BOOST231...what's it worth to ya...
100_3164.jpg
100_3164.jpg

Attachments

• 100_3165.jpg
    100_3165.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
  • 100_3169.jpg
    100_3169.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 173
  • 100_3170.jpg
    100_3170.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
  • 100_3161.jpg
    100_3161.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 156
Put an 86/87 intake on it with a modified upper plenum and a TA 49 turbo with
a bigger down pipe from GBodyParts.com and play with that for awhile.
The 2 big $ parts are the turbo and the D/P, but still less than probably $1500
total. Just IMHO

Sell it. HA cars are junk and no one wants them.
You will probably never be happy with it. I'll up Boost231's bid to $525.

Nice car, I wouldn't sell it if I were you to be honest. You will spend at least $12,000 or better for an IC car that clean with the low mileage like your car. Pull the motor and trans and hold on to them they will be worth there weight in gold one day or sell/trade for your build. You are more than half way there with just the condition of this car. Most guys will probably low ball you because it's a hot air. The hardest thing about the conversion is pulling the inner fender plastic and swapping out harnesses.

I'd change the rubber line coming from fuel tank too, it's old and can't handle the ethanol

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

thanks for the advice guys, it's appreciated...need to make up my mind!!

Where is the car currently located

I am getting ready to do a conversion to a similar (original) shape car. He spent the money to paint and restore everything. To do his conversion, $6000.00 to do so. This is with me helping him out alot, and sourcing parts for him. He wishes he bought an IC car, because stock, they are just not all that. He rides in mine and it pisses him off.

How much rust. Pm me a price