'84 Ignition Control Module

JankeyKevin

Got a non-running '84 GN from a buddy for a steal (or so I thought). It wasn't running when he got it either.

I think, I've sorted all the issues up to the ignition control module (after replacing the ECM & crank sensor).

I am just having a bear of a time finding a replacement. The local parts stores don't even list '84 GNs. They want to sell me a Regal module for an HEI.

I also tried EBAY, Kirban Performance, CARS Inc & Summit. No Dice.

Checking GNTTYPE.ORG I have GM PN: 25526449. Googled the # but no companies are selling. GNTTYPE.ORG also details converting to the '86-87 module.

I bought this as a 'fun' car & will be seeing no track time. Is the conversion my only option or does anyone know where I can get a new ICM? I don't want to convert unless I absolutely have to. :confused:

Got a non-running '84 GN from a buddy for a steal (or so I thought). It wasn't running when he got it either.

I think, I've sorted all the issues up to the ignition control module (after replacing the ECM & crank sensor).

I am just having a bear of a time finding a replacement. The local parts stores don't even list '84 GNs. They want to sell me a Regal module for an HEI.

I also tried EBAY, Kirban Performance, CARS Inc & Summit. No Dice.

Checking GNTTYPE.ORG I have GM PN: 25526449. Googled the # but no companies are selling. GNTTYPE.ORG also details converting to the '86-87 module.

I bought this as a 'fun' car & will be seeing no track time. Is the conversion my only option or does anyone know where I can get a new ICM? I don't want to convert unless I absolutely have to. :confused:

I have been there and done it. Check the sticky -basic hot air info on this board. The quick and dirty is:

Replace the ECM to and 86/87.
Get the right chip for the 86/87 ECM.
Deal with the MAT sensor-Install a Caspers or get a TT chip to eliminate it. Solves th SES light.
Get the Caspers wiring harness adaptor and mounting plate and convert to the 86/87 coil pack and module.
The next issue will be the MAF. Remans are crap. Get an 3 inch LS1 with a translator and you will be good to go.

The bottom line is the 84/85 electrical is basically dead when it comes to ECM, IGN, MAF:but by converting to the 86/87 works. Do some homework and repost. Brad

i have a ignition module for a 84 hot air with some other factory parts.
it is used but the vehicle ran fine. i changed it over to a 87 set up.

i have a ignition module for a 84 hot air with some other factory parts.
it is used but the vehicle ran fine. i changed it over to a 87 set up.

You could use this one...but otherwise do the conversion, it will save you alot of grief down the road...

Actually I think the really quick and dirty is to just convert the ignition module, which is what he thinks is the current problem. You can put on a 86-87 coil and module fairly easy. Either buy the plug adapter from Caspers, or repin the current connector to match the 87 style coil using the wiring diagrams on Turbo Regal Web Site.

The 87 ECm upgrade will come later and is highly recommended if you want to do anything at all past a stock running car.

I have been there and done it. Check the sticky -basic hot air info on this board. The quick and dirty is:

Replace the ECM to and 86/87.
Get the right chip for the 86/87 ECM.
Deal with the MAT sensor-Install a Caspers or get a TT chip to eliminate it. Solves th SES light.
Get the Caspers wiring harness adaptor and mounting plate and convert to the 86/87 coil pack and module.
The next issue will be the MAF. Remans are crap. Get an 3 inch LS1 with a translator and you will be good to go.

The bottom line is the 84/85 electrical is basically dead when it comes to ECM, IGN, MAF:but by converting to the 86/87 works. Do some homework and repost. Brad

I actually have a spare that a guy that was parting out his car sold me its the 84 module with the adaptor and the 87 coil if your interested i could put up a picture i tried it in my 85 and worked fine