84/85 block limits???

rwcarnut

not sure if this has been answered before? What is the limits of a stock 84/85 short block? where is the week link? wanting to use a stock short block and add cam, BGC intake and a 6776 turbo. where would the boost/hp limits be? just wanting to get the car running and then will start on a new block.

Thin main webbing. Thin lifter valley. Boost and horsepower depend on the block work. Are you using it as stock? Girdled? Steel cap?

I'm running a stock 180k+mi '85 longblock in my blowthru Regal, 20 bolt oil pan but its not a 109. It's seen over 400hp@ little over 600ftlbs at the wheels. It's taking the abuse of over 30psi boost from a small 5869 turbo and the occasional 100hp shot of N20. I drive it a lot on the street and its very reliable. Just don't detonate it and it can live.

The pistons are the weakest point. The mains are same as a 86-89. The lifter valley isn't a weak point in any year. Engines that are run at 600+hp with no detonation over time will have piston failure. Detonated engines will crack main caps.

i am looking to run a stock short block with a custom ground comp cam roller, gn1 heads, BGC intake, and at 6779 turbo with either a fast or bs3 controller just to get the project up an going and then will build a new short block, just wanted to know if I play it safe if I could have some fun with it for a while.