.82 vs. .63 A/R

HYBRIDT

My knowledge of turbos is still a little limited, but I'm trying to learn more every day. Can someone, in fairly generic terms, explain to me the difference in a .63 A/R and .82 A/R turbine housings? Like what I would expect performance to differ and nescessary TC changes.

ADAM

Thanks in advance for helping out.

.63 - smaller exhaust a/r = faster spool = less stall needed = more low end, limits top end breathing vs a .82

.82 - larger exhaust a/r = slower spool = more stall needed = more top end, gives better top end breathing vs a .63

on a smalll turbo (ta49) it seem the difference b/w the 2 in spool is marginal and with a 3000 stall converter it should be ok. on the bigger turbos tho it will probably affect it more cuz you also got a big compressor housing to flow air thru and possibly a bigger q-triim wheel. they say if your at the .63s limits, you can put a .82 housing on and pickup a couple tenths from decreased exhaust backpressure w/o upgrading to a whole new turbo.

I will try to help as much as I can. The 63a/r ratio allows the turbo to have great low and mid range power as compared to the 82a/r ratio which will provide a better mid-range and top end pull.

The reason for this is the turbine housing is larger (it has more interior volume) for the 82a/r ratio which slows the spool up. You will need a higher stall converter to compensate. Now keep something in mind, if you pay attention with your turbo selection you can almost have the best of both worlds. An example would be a TE-60 with an 82a/r ratio w/ 3200 9'' lockup, this would be a very nice turbo & converter with ported heads and a mild camshaft. You will have good street response and because of the 82a/r turbine housing approx. 15 to 20 more horsepower up top which would let the cam & heads do their job a little bit better.

Just an opinon (and the combo I am going to do instead of trying to make a TE-45 work with my TTA) :D :D :D:eek:

Champion iron heads
Champion ported intake
TE 63 turbo(I think)
214 cam
J/E pistons
55# injectors
modified ECM
ATR stainless headers
ATR stainless downpipe
ATR stainless dual exhaust
200r4 built by Mike Curtz
Art Carr 4200 converter
Moser axles
Auburn posi
3.90 gears
Precision front mount
Double pumper in tank

Above is my combo,,I just noticed how small my exhaust housing is.It is a A/R .63
I have been thinking my AC 4200 convertor is too loose,can I compensate (wicked fast spool up)for my convertor by going to a A/R .85 housing.

3000 stall for a 49 is WAY to much stall. i just got a 49 and i have a stock converter. and it spools REAL fast.

Cody

AT the track they used to say that 82 housing where worth a tenth or two and a few mph on the big end over the 63. Problem is slower spool up. At the track you build boost on the line anyway so no big deal. On the street a 63 will get the jump, but thats only if it can get enough traction to put the power to the ground. Now a buddy of mine used to whoop up on guys with a car that spooled like a pig. The quick spooling cars ONLY had an advantage right at first and they couldnt take advantage of it because they didnt hook up. Now my buddies car would be rolling pretty good before he started making his power and once it came in the car was moving fast enough to hook up. They half wasted advantage of the quick cars was made up in a hurry and he would go by them like they where sitting still. Keep in mind where talking about more than just an exhaust housing but the point still applies:
1. spool to quick can be no good
2. giving too big of a head start can be no good
3. running some one down is always fun because thats horse power and THEY know it!

Now heres some more that goes into that some people over look. This is some thing I didnt consider enough when I got into my set up. Big turbos and big exhaust housings are known for better top end charge. They are also known for needing higher stall convertors to make them work properly. Now the problem is that high stall convertors slip and man they slip alot. Alot of guys who run big turbo/ high stall convertor combos have built motors. They got heads and hipo cams and shift at higher rpms. I dont think alot of these guys realize how much thier convertors are slipping on them. Now I have to shift at just over 5 grand. SO with 27" slicks and a 3.25 gear I'm in OD a probably 400 feet from the end of the track! Big turbo or not cars just dont pull as hard in OD as they do in drive.
You can get away from this senerio if you run a high stall lock up convertor. You launch hard with high stall then switch to no stall at some point after the start. Now these guys tend to run good ET's and good mph. The problem is that big turbo-big stall-lock up guys tend to spend $$'s to fight tranny and convertor probs. If you tell the tranny guy you want to build big hp and run locked up he'll ask you for big $$'s. This would seam a decent option to me as far as getting your moneys worth except that they dont really seam to last. So a year or two or five, or what ever, you got to drop the big $$'s down again to keep running that set up.
That all said it comes down to really thinking hard about what you want. Then if your like alot of other people you have to decide how your going to change your mind once you got "what you thought " you wanted. That may sound stupid but alot of guys have done this. I was tickled ****less when I ran my first 11.xx because thats all I wanted pfffffft! a week later I wanted to run a 10.xx. Alot of ideal 11.xx parts arent ideal 10.xx parts. So when I buy now I lean towards the radical side because I know I'm a junkie. :D . Theres a good number of guys who do the oposite. They get tired of the $$'s you always seam to need for that next part or series of them you want or feel like you need. Or they get tired of the added down time that most guys wind up dealing with on the faster cars.

Morale of the story: Watch what you wish for, because if you work hard enough, long enough and spend enough money odds are you'll wind up stuck with it, until you sell it and lose your ass on it! That or you'll work and spend even more $$'s to change it again, and THEN you'll sell it and really lose your ass on it!:D

You could do a little searching and reading on the nitrous section of this board. That stuff works! It kicks the turbo square in the ass, it charges hard on the top end. I just put it on my TTA late last fall. I'll have some fun with it next summer.

HTH: Jason

not to highjack this thread but if i run a te44 with a .82 housing on a .030 over 109 block with ported heads/intake could i still go with the recommended stall of 2800 and not have bog down issues?

most likely as the .63 hsg 44 is already a quick spooling turbo. heads make a huge differenence. the .030 will help also.

well im going for maximum 1/4 times. the heads im porting have 170cfm right now with stock valves. im gonna up grade to bigger intakes then do more work(hopefully near the 200 mark). i think i should run the bigger housing.....any disagreements?