79 Cutlass goes 5.95 with S-400 turbo @3400 lbs.

quick79

went to Huntsville last Sat. night and made 6 passes. It started out crazy because we had changed rear springs and had the suspension all out of adjustment with the anti-roll bar. Thanks to Dusty Bradford we got it straitened out and ended up making 2- 5 second runs. Dusty was under my car all night and I cannot thank him enough. He is without a doubt one of the nicest guys I have ever met! We kept adjusting the anti-roll bar to keep the car going straight and then started trying to put more power to the ground. The convertor is too loose and the car need gear taken out of it. It has a 4.10 gear now and the car just kills the tires on the launch. We went 5.97@118.6 with a 1.39 60' and a 3.90 330'. Then we slowed the timing retard and changed the amount of retard from 3/4* to 1/2* and went 5.95@119.2 with a 1.40 60' and a 3.89 330'. I only have a MSD 6-al and a btm box so I am not able to change the retard as the pass progresses just able to pull timing out until boost is not present anymore. I am extremely happy with the combo and feel it has more left in it. The engine is a stock block 400 with and Borg Warner S-400 turbo that was $565 to the door. It is a 75mm unit with a 1.32 A.R. housing. The car weighs 3413 lbs. with me in it. Here is a video of the 5.95 pass. Once again thanks to Dusty Bradford for all your help. I couldn't have done it without your help!!!

YouTube - TURBO cUTLASS GOES 5.95@119 WEIGHING 3400 LBS.

Attachments

• huntsvilleengine.JPG
    huntsvilleengine.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 597
nice

Looks like its all coming together for you after all. You cant beat dusty for a good friend. Very nice guy and some of his friend's that hang with him.

No problem, glad I was able to help. I know the car has a good bit left. When you're ready to knock some more off the 5.95 let me know and I'll see what we can do. I'm in Pidgeon Forge trying to check out the vid and this hotel computer won't play video:mad: I'll have to wait a couple more days.

you bet this S400 is one sick turbo. really glad i bought one. man that thing sounds sick.
Gary