70mm TB

derek

87GN "Exoset"
I was told recently that with my Ta49 and stock IC with dutt neck I would not see any improvements by switching to a 70mmTB and PTE hat.Does anyone have any experience with this setup?

You will not get much if anything with your current set up.
Spend you maney some where else!

I had that exact set up at one time with a manual boost controller, I swapped to the KB 70mm and Plenum and gained 3psi of boost.

Then went to a V2 FMIC and gained another 3 3/4 pounds.

I do not have any 1/4 mile times or MPH to back anything up, but the fact it gave me back 3 psi of boost must mean there is some intake restriction its opening up. Felt good to me. :confused:

DR.BOOSTER said:
I had that exact set up at one time with a manual boost controller, I swapped to the KB 70mm and Plenum and gained 3psi of boost.

Then went to a V2 FMIC and gained another 3 3/4 pounds.

I do not have any 1/4 mile times or MPH to back anything up, but the fact it gave me back 3 psi of boost must mean there is some intake restriction its opening up. Felt good to me. :confused:

3 psi is a good gain as far as i'm concerned.That's like 40 hp.How was your turbo lag and throttle response?I did purchase and install a 3.5 " uppipe but went back to stock because it made it too laggy down low.

DR.BOOSTER said:
I swapped to the KB 70mm and Plenum and gained 3psi of boost.
I also did this 5 years ago and gained 2 lbs. It's proof that the stock throttle body is restictive. After doing this your turbo will have to work less for your motor to see the same boost as before the swap.This means the air entering the motor will be cooler and dencer (more oxygen) making more power.The other thing this means is that you can run two more lbs. of boost without detination.This is one of the reasons aftermarket intercoolers make more power. They're less restrictive.

Ttype, what IC did you have when you got your 2lbs?

And Ttype is right on with the lower inlet temps as now the turbo's pushing less psi to get the same amount of desired boost and its going to get it closer to the better efficiency island in the turbo mapping.

Throttle response was a bit better, but if you lower the boost back to normal, its not a huge difference but better. If you raise the boost say 10lbs, its really wakes up when you hammer it.

DR.BOOSTER said:
Ttype, what IC did you have when you got your 2lbs?
I had the stock IC at the time. I was also controlling my boost manually. Jim bell,at Kenne-Bell,claimed this was worth an average of 20 hp. between 3,000 and 5,500 rpm. Duttweiler saw a 30 hp. and 40 lbs/ft. of torque increase in power on one of his motors back then at only 13 lbs. of boost. Horsepower went from 507 to 537. Torque went from528to 568. This same motor made 740 hp. and 784 lbs./ft. of torque at 25 lbs. of boost. It obviously had a big cam and heads,but 30 hp. at 13 lbs. of boost. That's pretty good bang for the buck. Back then I got my throttle body and upper plenum for $299.00.