6466 Turbo Talk.

The HPT 6466 will support more power than the pte 6466.
Well I have another year or more before I decide to upgrade my turbo. It's hard telling what I might get, but I really like both the HPT and PTE turbos.

i would like to see back to back testing on the same combo, i bet its closer then there overall rating states, i've seen a pte-6265 blow way past its rating , these claims of 150 more hp on the same size wheel is hard to figure
the 45a had a 72lb/min rating and did a lot past that as well, these old ratings were just that underrated and these new ratings are just closer to what they actually are and always were imo
The story I heard was that Harry left PTE out of frustration due to stagnant wheel tech that they were using until inventory was exhausted. HPT uses the wheels that he’d designed that would otherwise have been available years from now.

The story I heard was that Harry left PTE out of frustration due to stagnant wheel tech that they were using until inventory was exhausted. HPT uses the wheels that he’d designed that would otherwise have been available years from now.
That makes some cents , Pte was falling a little behind on tech behind Garrett, Borg Warner, Comp, but at least they still take care of us Buick folks..
but a little friendly back to back 6466 vs 6466 with a map wouldn't hurt ;)

62vs64vs67.jpg

Maybe a Chart like this would be nice to see

There would be multiple reasons for this.
One obviously business,
sell your inventory stuff😉
The other is class racing
Which is big and has a market.
There just are things that make turbos shines in class racing but they are limited/restricted and if your not limited (big word) other things (sweep angle for one) can be done to grab lots more air sooner that far exceed the restrictions placed on the turbos that meet the rules.
Comp turbo and others ive seen perhaps hpt (I haven't run them) dont care about being class limited/restricted but flowing alot of air as fast as can be done will design/test and build turbos to market those that dont build cars for strictly a class

That makes some cents , Pte was falling a little behind on tech behind Garrett, Borg Warner, Comp, but at least they still take care of us Buick folks..
but a little friendly back to back 6466 vs 6466 with a map wouldn't hurt ;)

View attachment 395615

Maybe a Chart like this would be nice to see
Fuel usage and horsepower if using a new computer is easy and answers questions and reduces
Speculation 😉
Remember a gen 2 wheel is a very old design and size does matter😉

I think there is more to ratings than than most know.
I will say this I wouldn't want an ex housing ar of .70 for 925 or 1000hp😉
Nor would I want a small compressor wheel and turbine wheel for that power level
I have seen 1st hand many times what that can lead too🙂
Some of the other 64 mm turbos come with .63 exhaust housing. I don't think that makes sense with these modern turbos. At least my 6776 has a precision .63 exhaust housing. I still haven't measured back pressure.

Some of the other 64 mm turbos come with .63 exhaust housing. I don't think that makes sense with these modern turbos. At least my 6776 has a precision .63 exhaust housing. I still haven't measured back pressure.
If the wheels and combo are there
backpressure will stop the power potential of the wheel on a 63.

Anybody using an electric actuated external gate?
I looked into the TurboSmart Gen V Electronic HyperGate 45 when I was switching to external . I would have had to add water cooling plus a TurboSmart Black Box which is another $600 on top of the $1000 , so I went with CO2 controlled instead . I heard of a big HP car (4500hp) using one on the cold side to bleed off boost to ramp it in but it is controlled with his FuelTech ECU .

I looked into the TurboSmart Gen V Electronic HyperGate 45 when I was switching to external . I would have had to add water cooling plus a TurboSmart Black Box which is another $600 on top of the $1000 , so I went with CO2 controlled instead . I heard of a big HP car (4500hp) using one on the cold side to bleed off boost to ramp it in but it is controlled with his FuelTech ECU .
the fuelteck does the electronic
The holley does not

You need the black box/drivers to run the electronic gate.
On a 64mm inwould bother with an electronic gate.
Co2 and any 46mm/electronic boost controller is more than enough

Well that's the advantage of being able to buy a microcontroller and write the code and program it myself. Just have to find a controller rated for automotive environment and integrated gate drivers to control the actuator. Use a simple PID loop to control the gate.

The advantage of the electronic gate besides speed is the lack of guessing on dome pressure,which guessing can be overcome with testing😉
if you want to get to desired boost quicker without making passes adding dome pressure the electronic gate can save time by just commanding and achieving the actual boost range.
Dome pressure applied to the gate may or may not net the actual boost level desired if focused on the boost number alone.
The nature of the system dictates this.
Inmo if one cannot get to desired boost off dome pressure and figure out their ramps their external gate is not big enough and or their system is out of turbo.

Well that's the advantage of being able to buy a microcontroller and write the code and program it myself. Just have to find a controller rated for automotive environment and integrated gate drivers to control the actuator. Use a simple PID loop to control the gate.
The black box from turbosmart is the controller to have for the electronic gates.
550/600$
To the electronic gates plus the water lines etc
Adds up fast

I don't have the hardware at this point to need something like an electric gate, but very cool part and capability. The geek factor is high though on the electric gate.
Looking at the HPT turbo with an investment cast stainless exhaust housing, with the external gate provision, is a really nice upgrade over sand cast cast iron. The surface finish of the investment casting is going to be significantly better than a sand casting, don't know what the adds up to in performance potential, probably would not matter too much at my level, but what a nice piece. I could see a set of TA headers and HPT turbo with an external gate in my future.

The stainless ex housings really takes the weight down
The .85 3 bolt in one my cars weighs more than the turbo itself.

The black box from turbosmart is the controller to have for the electronic gates.
550/600$
To the electronic gates plus the water lines etc
Adds up fast
Mr. Spool I won't be getting an external wastegrate setup anytime soon. I have not looked at the TurboSmart BlackBox yet, but I will check it out. Any other issues not withstanding, it may be a bit of a challenge to find a microcontroller that can be mounted under the hood and withstand the high temperatures and the NVH that components are subjected to in that enviroment. Both the Arduino and Raspberry are fairly easy microcontrollers to get setup and program, but the "cheap" one are just that. My main reason for even wanting to develop my own electronic boost controller is because I enjoy doing it. Many years ago I took a Motorola HC6811 microcontroller and used it to design a functional digital weather station. My weather station reported temperature, humdity, barometric pressure, wind direction and speed, windchill and heat index. At the time I did this there were no inexpensive compilers such that I could write the code in C. I had to write all my code in assembly and use Motorola's BUFFALO RTOS. I can't recall how much program flash, RAM and EEPROM were available, but not much. Especially RAM. To write assembly code you have to learn the instruction set for the given CPU hardware architecture. As the instruction set is derived from design of the CPU. The trusty old HC11 had two 8-bit accumulators, A and B, and two 16-bit index registers, X and Y. It also has a 16-bit "fake" accumulator, D. Accumulator D was just A and B. I don't recall if there was a divide instruction, for division I had to bit shift. At least for divides by multiples of 2. The architecture of the HC11 was a complex instruction set computer, AKA, CISC.

If I do try to design my own boost controller, I will try to share my success and failures on the Turbo Buick forum.

Oh, back in 2016/17 Dave Roland ask me if I had been messing around with Arduino and I said I didn't even know what an Arduino was. He explained it was an inexpensive microcontroller and he also mentioned that he new several guys who used them to design their own boost controller.

Ok, enough yapping from me!

The stainless ex housings really takes the weight down
The .85 3 bolt in one my cars weighs more than the turbo itself.
I didn't read through all the post, do you or have you owned an HPT unit? They seem like they are nice and pretty reliable units. I think that Harry is the owner of HPT and he is an extremely nice and knowledgeable person, willing to ask all your questions and make recommendations. If you ask him a question about his products he'll answer it, even if the information is readily available. Harry explimplifies what business owner should strive to emulate. You won't ever hear him say, "That's the way we roll!".

Mr. Spool I won't be getting an external wastegrate setup anytime soon. I have not looked at the TurboSmart BlackBox yet, but I will check it out. Any other issues not withstanding, it may be a bit of a challenge to find a microcontroller that can be mounted under the hood and withstand the high temperatures and the NVH that components are subjected to in that enviroment. Both the Arduino and Raspberry are fairly easy microcontrollers to get setup and program, but the "cheap" one are just that. My main reason for even wanting to develop my own electronic boost controller is because I enjoy doing it. Many years ago I took a Motorola HC6811 microcontroller and used it to design a functional digital weather station. My weather station reported temperature, humdity, barometric pressure, wind direction and speed, windchill and heat index. At the time I did this there were no inexpensive compilers such that I could write the code in C. I had to write all my code in assembly and use Motorola's BUFFALO RTOS. I can't recall how much program flash, RAM and EEPROM were available, but not much. Especially RAM. To write assembly code you have to learn the instruction set for the given CPU hardware architecture. As the instruction set is derived from design of the CPU. The trusty old HC11 had two 8-bit accumulators, A and B, and two 16-bit index registers, X and Y. It also has a 16-bit "fake" accumulator, D. Accumulator D was just A and B. I don't recall if there was a divide instruction, for division I had to bit shift. At least for divides by multiples of 2. The architecture of the HC11 was a complex instruction set computer, AKA, CISC.

If I do try to design my own boost controller, I will try to share my success and failures on the Turbo Buick forum.

Oh, back in 2016/17 Dave Roland ask me if I had been messing around with Arduino and I said I didn't even know what an Arduino was. He explained it was an inexpensive microcontroller and he also mentioned that he new several guys who used them to design their own boost controller.

Ok, enough yapping from me!
Very cool post 👍
Inmo an electronic wastegate and controller is not necessary for the reasons I stated in my previous posts.
Take a peek at them
If tried to post alot of info on these subjects for our cars.
Most dont know what their car could be doing with new teck😉
Especially on the street.
A co2 controlled,electronic wastegate with an external gate really gives all the control that is needed with very fast gate speeds.
In with you on the electronic gate and heat it's a concern in my world for a track car no worries inmo.
I may be wrong but someone else may need to go first😉
As I have done it enough😂