#5487 Edelbrock performer Camshaft

franklin

Why does Edelbrock list this cam only fitting 79-1990 engines? I have a 1978 3.8. What makes my engine different that this cam will not fit? The only thing I can find from info on the web is a revised intake port on engines after mine.

I did find some stock cams from the autoparts store that list the same part number for my engine, and a 79 engine, but maybe thats a typo?

I know that the pitch the cam with the tiing chain and intake manifold. It might be designed to make power for the 79+ setup (different heads, and intake). But that's just a guess.

you're right. I totally forgot about Odd or Even fire. I think you've got it dead on

I emailed Edelbrock's tech dept, and they actually got back with me fairly quickly. They said it would work in my engine.

From what I have gathered from the internet, 1977 was the switch over from odd-fire to even-fire. So my 78 should be even-fire like the newer engines.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hey Franklin, I have the same dilemma with my 78 v6 looking for a cam. Did the 5487 fit your application? What else have you done for some more umph?

The break is the 77.5 engine. There's a head change in 79 to the high port design but the even fire design came out in 77.5. The high port head cam out in 79 and that makes the diff on the engines.

cam

Thanks Charlie. I am new to the site (very nice BTW) and have a 72 triumph Stag with a donated Buick 1978 v6. I am trying to get a little more life out of the tired engine after sitting 5 years. I have a Offy 6167DP manifold and a Edelbrock 600cfm carb 4 brl to mount up. I havnt tried anything yet, but was wonddering what else to do while the engine was topless. I found Franklins old thread about the edel 5487 cam and was wondering if it worked...maybe what else I could do to the 231??

Porting the heads helps a lot and since you're not turboed you can put some roller rockers on if you want to but it's not really needed unless you plan on winding the engine up real tight. The later heads will bolt right one but you need to check for port alignment on the intake.