520 to the tires video

84BuickGNYorkPA

Daily Driving Buick V-6 Turbo's 1979 - Present
Thought I would share video from last weekend, Marley and I where at Goodlings Motorsports York Haven PA, a local Sring Open House/dyno day. Only cars to put down over 500 H/P where the two Buick Turbos there. Most of the Mustangs where in the 350 H/P range.

Chuck

Nice. What are some of the mods. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ha nice, I think i commented on your video earlier today, what mods. Plz be a hot air still lol

The modifications are in my signature, negative on the hot air as the current power supply. Ok since this is the day of smart phones, I will copy and paste them here.
RJC loaded (Girdle, Crank Scraper, Deep Pan, Front Mount), King Bearings, .04 Diamond, 210/215 roller, 1:65 roller rockers, Champion Iron Heads, Billet 6262, Electric Dump, Dusty PTC NL Conv, Kirban Alum DS, Rear T/A Girdle, UMI Uppers/Lowers, Stk Rear, Bailey TR-6 Ignition Module, Turbo Tweak Speed Density Chip, on and on.
60' 1.61 11.129 @ 123.23(last time at the track)127.78 best mph
21.5 mpg with Dusty's Non-lock Converter
Original Owner 2/84 MAGNA, BPG #2015

Chuck

Last edited:
How much boost and what type of fuel ? Stout piece for sure.

About 25# boost and 93 octane with a single nozzle alkycontrol.com kit from Razor. The car is actually a daily driver (as long as the roads are dry) the BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires don't hook for crap on the street, but with the stock wheels and everything it's a decent sleeper.

Chuck

Last question I promise. Lol. What rpm did it make the power to ? I just dynoed 470 rwhp with a 206 cam and gn1 heads , te45a turbo 25#s on 93 with single nozzle alky this was thru a 9 inch ford rear. I had valve spring problems and was only able to pull to 4800 rpm. So I am wondering what rpm you were at. Thanks

From the graph looks like peak power was in the 5250 RPM area, the 1st time at the track with the 6262 I ran 30# boost with this tune, I thought I was at 24/25# but when I checked the power logger file the next day I saw the data, and no knock. Had to port the wastegate hole more to get the boost down to 25# where I feel more comfortable, but the engine did survive a 30# run at the track with the same tune, 11.2 a/f ratio, which is what I run all the time 11.2 and 20/18* of timing, which is low but works for me.

Chuck

Please excuse my ignorance, but why did you want the boost down? I see this a lot on here about wanting to get the boost down, and then on the other hand some people can't get enough. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please excuse my ignorance, but why did you want the boost down? I see this a lot on here about wanting to get the boost down, and then on the other hand some people can't get enough. Thanks

Some are scared of the boost...;)

boost increases hp , hp requires fuel (volume and octane ) for a proper tune
let the tune get away from (too lean) you and you risk detonation
the 109 stock can make a lot of power but detonation will hurt even the best built motor and parts
boost also increases hp which stresses other parts of the driveline (trans, rear, driveshaft) most have their own idea of whats a comfortable boost level, for alky most are ok with 23-25psi on the street
your fuel system has to be able to support the hp you are after as well in that im talking about pump(or pumps) lines and injectors
the tune has to be able to meet the demands of the hp the engine is trying to produce and that i mean it needs to command the proper fueling and timing
if you are running an ecu like stock with a maf and stock chip (turbotweak 5 series) are burned for a certain octane and usually the boost level that that octane can support ( it has fuel and timing programmed accordingly)
if the boost creeps up from there the ecu doesnt add fuel based on your boost and boost needs more fuel so if you were good at say 23psi and it creeps to 28 during a pull you will be leaner and risk detonation
with a stock chip once you max out the maf (255gr/sec) it cant increase fuel based on incoming air , thats usually around15psi on a stockish engine ...more boost adds more air flow than the maf can read and then the chip resorts to the burned image on it and increasing fuel based on rpm
besides just meeting the fuel requirements for the boost you run you also need to adress that boost also adds heat to the charge air and that also increases the potential for detonation which is where octane and timing come into play . you need more octane and /or less timing as boost goes up
if you are tuned on pump gas at 15psi and you creep to 20 or more you could have a bad day

if you can control the boost you can run the car longer (earlier ) at your desired boost level and continue down the track without fear of over boosting

personally i have around 1200 in my boost control with the electronic controller , gate, co2 not counting install . boost control is important for me as it lets me dial the car in for brackets and to keep me around 10.0x for index and still be able to race with just a roll bar

Last edited:
^^^^^What he said! One thing to add, the Bailey chips do read actual airflow at wot and WILL add fuel if/when boost creeps. Additionally, if you run "all the boost", you'll never need to worry about boost creep. This last point is why you should pick the turbo that will get to your goals and run it all out; eliminates any boost control issues! :D

^^^^^What he said! One thing to add, the Bailey chips do read actual airflow at wot and WILL add fuel if/when boost creeps. Additionally, if you run "all the boost", you'll never need to worry about boost creep. This last point is why you should pick the turbo that will get to your goals and run it all out; eliminates any boost control issues! :D
Gotcha, so I'm guessing a tt6.1 chip won't read actual air flow? I'm still putting my car together, and I was leaning more towards the 6.1, and was curious about the commander chip, but I just can't find enough info. I will more than liking get what ever chip I get burned for E85, it's all over town.

Gotcha, so I'm guessing a tt6.1 chip won't read actual air flow? I'm still putting my car together, and I was leaning more towards the 6.1, and was curious about the commander chip, but I just can't find enough info. I will more than liking get what ever chip I get burned for E85, it's all over town.

6.1 is speed density I believe so no MAF. That's a whole other animal if you're ready to start tuning.

bailey will add fuel but you will have to run the timing lower or have the octane

e85 can support a lot of boost if the timing isnt too agressive and you have enough fuel to the cylinders
6.1 will add fuel based on the A/F of a wideband sensor
if boost creeps above your octane or fuel supply you wont be happy , the chip will try its best to open the injectors to add fuel but it cant add fuel if injectors or pumps/lines are maxed out

Last edited:
I plan on over building the fuel system, I thought the 6.1 uses the maf at cruising speeds and wb at wot and closed loop?
I'm not ready for speed density.

bailey will add fuel but you will have to run the timing lower or have the octane
6.1 will add fuel based on the A/F of a wideband sensor but if boost creeps above your octane or the hp resulting runs out fuel supply (inj/pump/lines) then the chip will try its best but

Good stuff. This is ultimately why I went extender chip with my alky setup. The alky is progressive so it auto adds and subtracts alky with boost changes. Couple that with the Bailey chip, and I should never run out of octane or fuel at any boost level on my TE44. I got tired of changing so many things at the track and for different times of the year. Now I just change boost level and run. Everything else just happens. I'll maybe change the WOT settings in the translator once per year if I run into a really good air day and need to add some fuel to the overall curve, but otherwise, it's set it and forget it. I have the crockpot of turbo Buicks!

I plan on over building the fuel system, I thought the 6.1 uses the maf at cruising speeds and wb at wot and closed loop?
I'm not ready for speed density.

You're probably right.