50 Years-Vietnam-Turbo Buick Connection

Dennis Kirban

As the title indicates their is a connection between the three topics. Positive proof that indeed it is a small world after all.

The year was 1966 I landed in Cam Rham Bay, Vietnam to begin my one year stint in what then was known as a conflict. As we stood outside the plane at attention the question was asked who here knows photography? Three of us raised our hands. They gave us a test. I came out the winner as I was a wedding photographer that summer for my Dad at the tender age of 18.

The job opening was for the 17th Aviation Group out of Nha Trang Vietnam just a short hop northI believe up the coast from Cam Rahn Bay. (My spelling may be off!)

I met the guy I was replacing who as you can imagine was eager to leave Vietnam. His name was Vincent Goglucci. Short guy who taught me the ropes and in less than 2 weeks or so was gone. I recall he said he hailed from NJ and myself I was from PA.

The year was 1966. Fast forward to 2016 (50 years) more exact to the day after this past Memorial Day. I was carrying a handful of orders down to our warehouse and the order on top was for a Matt Goglucci out of New Jersey. The name struck me since it was the day after Memorial Day and like many Vets that is when memories come streaming back to you of your time in the service. Goglucci I did not think was a very common name even my name Kirban is not a common name. I was curious so I called Matt Goglucci and said I had a strange question for him did he have any relative that served in Vietnam in 1966 or 1967 maybe in Nha Trang or was a photographer? He said his Dad did. Without saying it I was hoping he was still alive so I could cal him and see if indeed he was the same Goglucci. I remember him having dark hair and was quite short.

Matt said his Dad was 69 years old and and gave me his phone number. Turns out it was indeed Matts father that I replaced as the photographer for the 17th Aviation Group in Nha Trang. I also became the editor for the 17th Aviation Group as well. Interesting enough when his Dad landed in Saigon a year earlier he was asked the same question and he passed the test and got the job prior to my time!

This short story was 50 years in the making....his son Matt is 42 my son is 46. He has another son and daughter as well. We plan to get together later this summer. Vince probably won't be so rushed this time when we meet compared to 1966 when he couldn't wait to get home!

I have another Vietnam story that is not as old but also unusual I will save for another time.

I'm looking forward to meeting Vince who by the way still is in the photography business. We all know the business I am in.....

thought I would share this with the readers of this forum....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Great story, Dennis! I like seeing some of the "randomness" removed from our lives...

That is awesome. Glad you are able to connect with someone from so long ago.

Dennis, Interesting bit of history!!(y)
I was in the 67th Recon/technical sqdn, out of Yokota, AFB, Japan 61-63. I was a grad of the recon/still photo school, @ Lowery, AFB, in Denver. We had a detachment at Tan Son Nhut . It was a photo
processing center.
Were you doing airborne recon? The early "stuff" we did, was shot w/ the old hand held 9x9...Gooney birds, and C130's...

His son Matt has bought turbo parts from us in the past has a GN....just ironic on that Tuesday his order was on the top of the pile.

As for what I did in Vietnam I took thousand of photos for the 17th Aviation Group also was the editor of their newspaper for the group. Mostly news items award cermonies etc also any accidents with air craft or vehicles I photographed so cause could be determined....I did get up in helicopters and those small single prop planes after the action I can remember taking photos of General West Moreland who was maybe 10 feet away from me at the time....course at 18 - 19 years old this history doesn';t register with you at the time.....

The camera I used was one of the best I sent for from home a rolleiflex took 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 inch negatives today they fetch pretty good money I am sure..I sold it years ago...

Appreciate all the nice comments...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

after Vietnam I pulled probably the best duty ever...stationed at the Philadelphia Induction center got to play teacher to incoming draftees etc....then also give them that talk prior to them taking the trains to basic training..ususlly ft gordon or for bragg...basically a 9 to 5 job.....went home every nite....at the time my wife worked at Hurst and drove a 1964 GTO to work which as many readers know led to my next phase...it was cool playing teacher.....I lucked out for sure compared to others....

I got one long time friend who was my neighbor growing up has never been right since going to Vietnam.....sad he was a highly skilled person....

Thats a really cool story. Thanks for sharing and thank you for your service