4l60e forward sprag...then bind up in 4th

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Ok we all know that GM's 4l60e eat forward sprags. I have a problem child at work. Replace the sprag,re clutched the input housing and replaced band. When it gets to 4th it feels like it binds up then it neutrals out IMO. I don't think it's the band cause it has 2nd. I don't think it's the 3-4 clutches cause 3rd is good.

I was told that overrun clutches maybe binding.Got till monday before I pull back out and open it up again. All sealing rings looked good no metal in the pan. Did not mess with the pump,valvbody,or teardown below the input housing.

Any ideas from the guru's.

And yes I know it not a GN trans.

Ok we all know that GM's 4l60e eat forward sprags. I have a problem child at work. Replace the sprag,re clutched the input housing and replaced band. When it gets to 4th it feels like it binds up then it neutrals out IMO. I don't think it's the band cause it has 2nd. I don't think it's the 3-4 clutches cause 3rd is good.

I was told that overrun clutches maybe binding.Got till monday before I pull back out and open it up again. All sealing rings looked good no metal in the pan. Did not mess with the pump,valvbody,or teardown below the input housing.

Any ideas from the guru's.

And yes I know it not a GN trans.

Did you change the valve body gaskets, spacer plate??

More than likely a problem with forward clutch since it is applied through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It goes off for 4th gear and band is re applied. The coast clutch is only used for engine braking. HTH

The problem was...

Had an extra steel in the over run clutch...:mad:....that's what happens when you rush.