4276 Questions...

Nashty

WORLD'S FASTEST ......geo
I'm interested in this turbo and wondered if anyone could tell me size wise, just how much bigger this turbo is compared to my current 70.

I am very cramped on the compressor side, I only have about an inch from the turbo now to the head and about the same to the radiator to water pump tubing. I'm alright on the turbine size as what I've got now is pretty small compared to the compressor anyway.

My new convertor is toooo tight. So, I've got to restall it and I figured I'd just up the turbo to make up some power I'm going to lose with the additional slip. I have a little bitty 3.4 stroke, +0.030 bore S1 (3.8) that is 235 CID or so. I'm having a heck of a time getting this car to launch and wondered how horrible it would be with the 4276. From what I've heard, this turbo spools like mad. I might go with a 4202 to help a bit but I think I can use either turbo pretty effectively at modest boost.

Also, how about a 4276R, anyone have any experience with those?

As an aside, has anyone ever successfully REALLY mapped out their most optimal turbo? My guru (Postal) got me looking at it and I was surprised to find out a few interesting things about turbos but was astounded that anyone would run an air-air IC over a liquid unit. Do the math sometime.

The physical size of the turbo is greater. Its 5' inlet requires some creative welding on the header and inlet tube. I have some pics in my sig link.

I'm planning on welding a 4" ring to the compressor housing and making a 4" elbow to the 3½" downpipe.

Just how big is it from the tangential outlet across? How wide is it from the center of the turbine inlet to the compressor housing scroll? Those are the dimensions I'm most concerned with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No room for twins...

2100ygl.jpg

Nashty said:
I'm planning on welding a 4" ring to the compressor housing and making a 4" elbow to the 3½" downpipe.

Just how big is it from the tangential outlet across? How wide is it from the center of the turbine inlet to the compressor housing scroll? Those are the dimensions I'm most concerned with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had to move the turbo 4 inches forward and an inch down to clear everything.

Nashty said:
I'm interested in this turbo and wondered if anyone could tell me size wise, just how much bigger this turbo is compared to my current 70.

I am very cramped on the compressor side, I only have about an inch from the turbo now to the head and about the same to the radiator to water pump tubing. I'm alright on the turbine size as what I've got now is pretty small compared to the compressor anyway.

My new convertor is toooo tight. So, I've got to restall it and I figured I'd just up the turbo to make up some power I'm going to lose with the additional slip. I have a little bitty 3.4 stroke, +0.030 bore S1 (3.8) that is 235 CID or so. I'm having a heck of a time getting this car to launch and wondered how horrible it would be with the 4276. From what I've heard, this turbo spools like mad. I might go with a 4202 to help a bit but I think I can use either turbo pretty effectively at modest boost.

Also, how about a 4276R, anyone have any experience with those?

As an aside, has anyone ever successfully REALLY mapped out their most optimal turbo? My guru (Postal) got me looking at it and I was surprised to find out a few interesting things about turbos but was astounded that anyone would run an air-air IC over a liquid unit. Do the math sometime.

What convertor did you end up getting Roger? I'm still in the market for one :)

-scott wile

Chevota said:
What convertor did you end up getting Roger? I'm still in the market for one :)

-scott wile

Neil Chance Pro Mod weld together - 10.5"

I went from 13% slip w/ N2O and 11% slip w/o N20.

On a 24 # pass with the hose on about halfway, I ended up with 4.9% slip. :eek: It also drops 1000 RPM on the shift as opposed to 400 with the old one.

It's too tight though I think, I can't spool at the line. I'm chasing a couple of other issues but I think I'm going to have it loosened up some. The Chance convertor was expensive but probably the best thing I put on the car for a gain. I put a new intercooler on it also, now I have 40º air at the throttle body as opposed to the old IC's 140º. I also did some other engine work but I went from 147 (30# of boost and a 50 shot) to 154.6 on 24# of boost. :) Yea baby...

The valve covers are CAS ones that are available. Email me if you're interested. The car weighs 2400# with me in it now.

Now, the 4" forward and 1" down, was that to just get it so wouldn't hit the water pump or something? I can go up a tad but am pretty limited. Sounds like the turbo won't work for me based on that alone. I think I've still got some significant power left in the GTQ70 but am interested in keeping the boost levels down a bit.

Roger ,
The 42 76 is quite bigger than what you have now. You may have to use a extra t4 flange to space the turbo up which is what i had to do on a almost stock location, self modified 3 bolt -4 bolt ATR header.

The 4276 R spools very fast but is twice the money of a regular non BB. I was amazed on how good the non BB spooled with my old TSM converter, of courese the motyor is larger too.

Nashty said:
Neil Chance Pro Mod weld together - 10.5"

I went from 13% slip w/ N2O and 11% slip w/o N20.

On a 24 # pass with the hose on about halfway, I ended up with 4.9% slip. :eek: It also drops 1000 RPM on the shift as opposed to 400 with the old one.

It's too tight though I think, I can't spool at the line. I'm chasing a couple of other issues but I think I'm going to have it loosened up some. The Chance convertor was expensive but probably the best thing I put on the car for a gain. I put a new intercooler on it also, now I have 40º air at the throttle body as opposed to the old IC's 140º. I also did some other engine work but I went from 147 (30# of boost and a 50 shot) to 154.6 on 24# of boost. :) Yea baby...

The valve covers are CAS ones that are available. Email me if you're interested. The car weighs 2400# with me in it now.

Now, the 4" forward and 1" down, was that to just get it so wouldn't hit the water pump or something? I can go up a tad but am pretty limited. Sounds like the turbo won't work for me based on that alone. I think I've still got some significant power left in the GTQ70 but am interested in keeping the boost levels down a bit.

Wow :eek: Nice mph!