42# Injectors why?

joemagjr

Hi folks,

Looking to get some info on injectors. I just purchased an 87 gn and while I try to learn about the turbo stuff, I took some numbers of my injectors to ref, and the big olde Ford symbol on the injectors made me more curious.

The injectors are green topped with the fllowing numbers, xl3v-a5a, 0 280 150 558 which I found to be a 42# injector. The fuel regular on the car is stock and runs around 32#'s (determined by a fuel gauge). Is this to much injector for the street? am I hurting anything by leaving the current set up?

As far as I know all in stock on the motor except for having an adjustable wastegate, and the injectors.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

If the fuel pressure regulator is stock and you have 42# injectors, it sounds like the previous owner simply added those larger injectors to replace the stock ones. Leaving it as is, is not a problem provided your chip is burned for the higher flowing injector. 42# injectors are very common injectors used on our cars. Higher flowing injectors do not hurt or improve performance when calibrated with the chip, they simply allow more fuel delivery when mods are done that demand more fuel.

thanks 87geein

You just made me curious, I just disconnected the battery and popped the kick panel. Low and behold, a srew missing off the cover and what-da-know :eek: , there is a white label on the under side of the chip hand written in blue pen 42.s street. So it looks like there is a custom burned chip.

Where should I go from here? How do I know what the heck else was done to the chip? Am I better off buying an off the self chip or find someone to burn a fresh one which I would be able to list all the components on the car.

thanks for your response

Definately get a chip burned for your combo. I have 42.5's which everyone said were junk. Eric Marshall (Turbotweak.com) burned my chips and it is great. He is great, you should be able to search and see his feedback for product as well as customer service. Or you could post a pic or more info on your chip and see if someone recognizes it.

Eric Marshall at TurboTweak or Mike at FullThrottle Performance can get you a good street chip for those injectors.

I have used those injectors for years now, Bosch Green top Ford Lightning injectors, they work just fine, I'd get an adjustable regulator however for when you do get a chip, they like to see FP. at 42-45psi. hose off 'static' measured.

And get a scan tool such as a scanmaster as well.

If you can take a picture of the label on the chip perhaps someone here can identify it better, there's an outside chance it may be an old Modern Musclecar chip which might be a good one to use for now.

PS: Many people take parts off the car that are worth $$$ before selling it, injectors are a bit of work to do that with, but the adj. regulator isn't.

If the car runs well with the chip you have I'd get the scantool first to make sure, then decide if and how you are going to mod. the car, such as anything from heads, cams. alky. kit, turbo, intercooler, exhaust, elevated boost levels etc. and then get a new chip burned for that combo.

Obviously, if it doesn't run well now, get the new chip ASAP.

salvageV6 said:
Eric Marshall at TurboTweak or Mike at FullThrottle Performance can get you a good street chip for those injectors.

I just called Mike at Full Throttle and talked about my (new to me) 86 Buick GN. He was very informative, took some time with me to sort things out in my head, and made some good suggestions. I had a chip burned and they're sending it out. Cost $130.

Dang, must be a good one! :eek: Is it a thumbwheel chip? (adjustable)

Erics are $75, or you get a discount for ordering two at a time. Either way, hope you get it taken care of and get to (safely) enjoy the car. Definitely heed the advice of salvage. I know he doesn't have many posts (HA! :eek: ) but you really need to get a scan tool and things like adjustable reg, fuel pump, etc, if it hasn't been done already. CONGRATS on entering the Buick world. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the feedback.. I will work on getting a chip. I also found another company by the name of sinister performance,...anyone hear anything about them?

i dont know about you guys but the stock injectors are 28 pounds, if you run 42 pounds injector with a stock engine it would be

OFFLEY ( how the hell you write that word )TO RICH IN GAZ and you ll pop black some everywhere.unless your chips is designed for it and cuts the idle gaz at around 28 and only gives out 42 at wide open throttle.