4 speed install

dognut

thinking about transplanting a 87 gn motor into a old hot rod.I want to make it a 4 speed manual trany.Anyone know what I would need.Would a set up from a camaro or firebird work. thanks

Sounds like a great project. What vehicle were you planning on using? I've always liked the 33 willey's!
Have you checked in the hybrid section? I'm sure there are a few guys that have tried it. The easiest might be getting an old monza-starfire or skyhawk w/the manual on the floor and use it for a parts car. And if possible go w/the 5 speed!:biggrin:

Monza and H-Body clones use a cable to actuate the clutch. Plus the bell housing is a little tight which means in most cases you cant use anything bigger than a 10" pressure plate. There is plenty of information on just about every tranny swap known to man by just doing a simple google search. Probably the easiest is to use a B/H with the BOP bolt pattern(i.e. Pontiac 400/455 Buick 350/455).Most if not all of the old muscle car OEM bellhousings with the BOP pattern have the dual starter pockets so you can use the Pontiac/Olds B/H for a Buick application. Those will accept any Muncie or Saginaw. This place here offers a B/H and F/W that will bolt to the back of a 231 AdvanceAdapters.com | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

Or you could just buy the bell housing I've got for sale.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 125
Just a thought, once you engage the clutch you lose spool and therefore boost. Sounds like a cool idea though.

Just a thought, once you engage the clutch you lose spool and therefore boost. Sounds like a cool idea though.

This is true but it can partially solved with a BOV routing the outlet back into the inlet to keep the speed of the turbo up.:biggrin: Did a little research about a stick some time ago.:eek: