-3an Turbo Feed Stopped My Smoking Turbo

GNVYUS 1

An option for those in a similar situation.

I switched my oiling setup from the PTE Turbo Saver to the Turbo Protector while switching my turbo feedline to a -3an Earls 22" Braided Brake Line. I now have a GN that doesn't smoke. :cool:

Make of it what you will, but I was making a beef about the -4 feedlines and how the factory line was WAY smaller and it appears, at least for my setup, that the switch was needed.

Earl's Performance 63010122ERL - Earl's Performance Speed-Flex Brake Lines – SummitRacing.com

That hose might not be long enough if you wanted to swap out the -4 on the PTE Turbo Saver.

I mentioned in the past that I've been running a -3 feedline on a PTE6152S on my Turbo Talon for about 6 years now, no problems at all so I just borrowed that setup and it works. You don't need to swap out the Turbo Saver, just the -4 line.

You coulda put a restrictor inline and done the same thing probably. Glad it solved your problem tho.

Agreed, but since I was starting fresh with the Protector I wanted to show that the -4 is not always necessary and that the Buick engineers knew what's up with the factory line size.

The cool thing I didn't know was that you can use a brake line and get the -3 line already made up by Earls and in increments of 2" in length for cheap from Summit. I spent more in fittings and the line separately than the completed Earls brake line cost shipped. :mad:

Summit seems to be down right now, so I can't pull up the link you posted. I just spent a pretty penny on 3 feet of jegs proflex black cloth 4AN, two 90* fittings and a 4AN-1/8 fitting to feed clean oil to my turbo. Total price was probably more than I want to admit. Hopefully I can get that link to work and see what these lines look like....

You coulda put a restrictor inline and done the same thing probably. Glad it solved your problem tho.

I put a .05 cent set screw in the AN fitting that is screwed into the turbo then drilled it out to about .100-.120(cant remember). I have a turbo saver from when they used a -6 line:eek: (1996) Thats way cheaper than changing all the lines and fittings....and no more smoking!:biggrin: