300 ZX Twin Turbo ?

gndude

Has anyone ever ran into a twin turbo 300ZX? I've got a guy talking his up @ work, just curious on 1/4 times etc.? I have a slightly modded GN, but from what I've seen of these cars ( not sure about auto/manual) they seem like a 14-14.5 second ride? I think I could put the hammer down on that, what do you guys think?

From what I have seen in magazine tests and whatnot they run around 14.2-14.4 My guess is they would be as fast as an LT1 Camaro/Firebird. But since they are Twin Turbo even simple mods can make them pretty strong runners. They were rated at 300 HP/280 torque I believe and have read many stories of them putting out 400 with some cheap mods. Stock for Stock you could take him with boost on the line and traction...Good luck

From My Own Personal Experience

I've ridden in one before, not sure what year..early 90's
I don't believe it had mods..but damn lemme tell ya these things are fast as hell!!! They rreeeaalllyyy put you back in your seat!
When I got home from the ride I went on here and checked the specs and couldnt believe that they ran around 14.5 in the 1/4...but o well!
Find out what he has and good luck!

Originally posted by gndude
Has anyone ever ran into a twin turbo 300ZX? I've got a guy talking his up @ work, just curious on 1/4 times etc.? I have a slightly modded GN, but from what I've seen of these cars ( not sure about auto/manual) they seem like a 14-14.5 second ride? I think I could put the hammer down on that, what do you guys think?

I ran one from a roll on the highway from 55mph. I beat it. I was in my '88 Mustang, which was equipped with aftermarket H-pipe, mufflers, tailpipes, pulleys and 3.73 rear gears. At the strip I ran a best of 13.8 with those mods.

One of my buddies at school is actually considering a TT300zx or an LT1 z28. He drove one recently and said off the line it wasnt very impressive(probably since its a revver and it doesnt have a lot of torque) but he said on the highway the thing pulled pretty good. Still think you should win pretty easily.

I remember a street race about 7 years ago with one and my buds 12 second 5.0 Mustang with slicks.. This 300 was an automatic and he he said bigger turbos and a few other mods. It had stock tires. Out of the hole we put about 4 lengths on him instantly and by top of third gear he was coming on like a freight train.. Passed us like we were standing still. Be careful, these can run..

From what i have heard the 300 z turbo's that are fast are time-bombs, and are hard to work to boot. If it is remotely stock, and you have the basic bolt-on's, run him out of the hole with some good tires, and the race will get ugly real fast. I ran i guy down here that swears his car had like 500 hsp in one, lets just say i let off at 100 and he was a dot in my rear view.

Shoebox

It also depends on how much boost you're running...

Amount of boost, his mods and your mods...so it's hard to tell what TT 300Z's you can beat and which ones you cant..all I know is the 1 I was in was pppreetttyy fast and we pretty much went from a 5-10mph roll to about 50 but I was impressed

Went to the track with a friend about 8 years ago who had a mildly modded 93. I know he had a HKS turbo controller, exhaust work and Xtra boost. (don't know how much) He was not running stickey tires and still managed a best of 12.88 @ 107. His times were inconsistient due to the radial tires, but overall it ran really good.
He was pretty disapppointed when I clicked off 12.50's all day (with slicks) in my "old mans" car,
Larry

I was a zcar guy before i bought the GN... stock 300zxtt is nothing THAT impressive but if modded WATCH OUT... you may get your ass handed to you.

You beat a 500hp 300zxtt? Sounds like a ricer was talking smack LOL. Takes some serious cash to get reliably into that power level.

I certainly wouldnt chase one though the twisties with my gn! But I have, and will do it again in my turboed 72 zcar :)

Later guys - Evan

What im saying is.... make him pop the hood!