3 inch down pipe power gains?

666al

Is a 3 inch down pipe a major power gain or not? will it make much of a difference?

What do you call major?
And much of a difference? Depends on what it's being connected to at the cat end.
Which is why we all have our parts listed in our signatures... ;) So we can better help the new guys.

If you have the stock DP it will be a huge improvement. Turbo will spool up faster, exhaust will sound better.

You'll be happy you did. :)

3 inch down pipe?

Well the gn is just about stock running 17 pounds of boost, and it seems like it launches out of the whole quick enough 2.0 60ft but kind of looses the pull and mph 90. Just bought the car about a month maybe 2, and the exaust is just crap so i made exaust cut out before cat (2 1/2). So people keep telling me to get a 3 Inch down pipe which costs some money and i wanna know if its going to help. i do have the 3 cut out and test tube ready to bolt on after the get my new 3 dp.

that makes sense to why you put your combo's in your sig, I did not do it in my sig for no other reason then !!, is that I can not think of one, so I'm gonna put my parts and pieces of my combo now into my sig, thanks.

Ron

Stock ported elbow w/ 3" DP car went 120mph in the sig below, changed to 3" THDP style went 122mph. No other changes. Thats my real word test. HTH

I noticed a BIG improovement at higher speeds on my TR when it was completley stock. The response was greatley improved at 60 mph & higher. Might be a butt dyno issue, but, I really didn't notice much difference at lower speeds < 50 mph.

I consider it $ well spent.

Well the gn is just about stock running 17 pounds of boost, and it seems like it launches out of the whole quick enough 2.0 60ft but kind of looses the pull and mph 90. Just bought the car about a month maybe 2, and the exaust is just crap so i made exaust cut out before cat (2 1/2). So people keep telling me to get a 3 Inch down pipe which costs some money and i wanna know if its going to help. i do have the 3 cut out and test tube ready to bolt on after the get my new 3 dp.

666al. You're off to a good start with the new mods. That's exactly what you should have on there.
Tell me this. What sort of cold air intake do you have? Is it just a filter thrown on? Is the filter mounted outside the engine bay? (not that it has to. most here do not, including myself. not really necessary) Do you have a maf pipe in there?

And explain your chip? At this point in time, your next mods are these. Oil pressure gauge, boost gauge, turbo tweak chip, fuel pump w/ hotwire kit, new valve springs, rjc power plate, and bigger rear sway bar. The power plate distributes the airflow to all cylinders, to prevent certain ones from leaning out. NEVER turn up the wick without one, for sure.
A thick rear sway bar really helps a launch out, and the chip smooths everything out. I personally guarantee you noticeable improvement with these mods.
After these mods are on, it's tune time. tune tune tune. Make sure your O2 sensors doing what it's supposed to be doing. The turbo inlet bell, intercooler, and throttle body is free of oil, there are no vac leaks, no rotted hoses, and the temperature's where it's supposed to be. VERY important on these rides.
Make sure you have a 160 degree thermostat installed as well. Depending on the condition of your overall cooling system, and having that thermostat, and a good chip, it may be all that's needed for a cool running car. Mine runs just fine on a stock radiator with stock fans.
Where are you located?

3" dp

Put a houston on with stock exhaust,not much seat of the pants difference,but with 3" Cottons exhaust HOLD ON.Also have TA49, polished bell,K&N 9" cone MAF pipe.Adj fuel reg,TT Chip 42.5 inj,Walbro Pump,Hot wire kit,RJC boost controller,ande a perfect tune.The perfect tune takes some work but its worth it,just need to know what your doing.Been an ASE Master tech for 10 yrs.Thanks.Tim.All in all a 3" dp is well worth the money.

I have a stock exhaust and considering a TH style downpipe. Your point about the restrictive exhaust is well taken. But, would the gains be there if a cutout was used? Thanks.

Even with a stock turbo elbow and downpipe, a cutout REALLY wakes it up. I have the stock elbow and dp, and god DAM does my car come alive with my cut out open. It sounds like total ****, but I only do it when I have a race that I think I may not win.

But with a stocker like the authors, the other mods I mentioned are very important as well. You must run these in unison, or some things may go wrong.