3.8L Gen III with 200r4 or 700r4?

waldo786

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a TH350 or a 200r4 or 700r4 would mate up with the new gen III 3800 buick engines. Am looking at a chevy monza with a 1980 3.8L so wondering if this would fit in without modifying much but also use the other trans because it is rear wheel drive I think. Any ideas anyone??? Thanks for any info!

waldo786 said:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a TH350 or a 200r4 or 700r4 would mate up with the new gen III 3800 buick engines. Am looking at a chevy monza with a 1980 3.8L so wondering if this would fit in without modifying much but also use the other trans because it is rear wheel drive I think. Any ideas anyone??? Thanks for any info!
What year engine are you talking about a classic 3.8L (79-91 basically, 79-88 RWD is all the same mostly), Series I 3800 (92-early 95), Series II 3800 (late 95-pesent), or the limited use Series III 3800 (2004-present)?
The 4L60E will fit Series I, II, and III engines without adapters as long as you get an F-body case (96-2002). A 4L60E and TH700R4 V8 cases will work with an adapter and the TH200-4R will bolt right onto to the classic 3.8L.

Thanks for the info that is very helpful! Totally forgot about the 4L60E, and so was wondering now too what about the 4L80E. Is it better to have the trans electronically controlled or is it better to not be. I was looking at some trans that have electronic and non electronic ones. What's the difference and why would one be better than the other? Thanks! I trust a physicist :D

waldo786 said:
Thanks for the info that is very helpful! Totally forgot about the 4L60E, and so was wondering now too what about the 4L80E. Is it better to have the trans electronically controlled or is it better to not be. I was looking at some trans that have electronic and non electronic ones. What's the difference and why would one be better than the other? Thanks! I trust a physicist :D
Which engine are you talking about?

A 4L80E is a TH400 with an electronic valvebody and Overdrive. The advantage of an -E series transmission is that you can set shift points where ever you want and such and add cool things like paddle shifters if you wish. However it requires a $700-1000 aftermarket controller or a compatable ECM setup to control them. The TH700R4 and 4L60E aren't known as the most durable transmission but they can be built for decent power. The TH200-4R is inherently more durable than a TH700R4 and 4L60E but it take building it up right just has the potential to take more power when fully built. The 4L80E is just as durable as a TH400 pretty much in stock form and dang near unbreakable but they are really, really heavy.

Thanks for the info. I've also had another hair brain idea. Since this has a 3.8L engine already, would it be possible to rebuild it in a similar fashion to the turbo buicks or drop in a turbo buick engine since they are the same basic engine block. That would probably be easier because it would mate up to the 200r4 trans. Anyway, any ideas on how that might work would be appreciated. Just trying to figure out the best way to make this more efficient with EFI, etc. Thanks!