3.5" MAF's

Low Budget

Where does everyone buy them and what is the part number? OR what year and make and engine etc. do they originally go with?

Thanks, Jeff

gmpartsdirect,2001 camaro z-28,don't have the part #with me right now,if you can't find it I will dig it up for you
Ed

Jeff, There you go now your talking!! Did you get your tranny straight yet?? Frank

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I ordered my parts today. Translator, 3.5" MAF and a Scanmaster.

Anybody have any cheap way to step up from the filter and back down to the MAF pipe? I forgot to order a couple of those stepped hoses. I'd like to try something with locally available stuff if I can. Any ideas?

Hey Frank,

Yeah, yeah....I know. I'm still so broke it's scarey! I can't handle this MAF crap anymore though. Another one took a sh*t Tuesday. So, yet another $500 on a credit card should fix me up for now.

I took the GN out to Dynotech Tuesday to see what Eric Schertz could do for my tranny. There were 729.28 reasons why my transmission slipped so bad at the track. I'm planning another test at Cecil on Saturday November 22nd if the weather permits. I'm pretty sure we will see at least a couple sub 12 1/2 second runs to start. If it won't do that, I'm gonna pack up my toys and go home till spring! Can you make it to the track that day?

Jeff

A cheap solution are the 4"-3" connectors in the plumbing pvc section of Lowe's or Home Depot. If you are using your old 3" K&N, the rubber plumbing connector will fit over the K&N outlet. Everything will be kinda loose, but you can tighten it up with the supplied hose clamps. Should be around $12 for both.

Mike

Thanks VIN7,

I probably would have ended up at Home Depot standing in the plumbing aisle anyway. Now I know I'm headed in the right direction. Good deal.

Jeff

Go over to www.camaroz28.com and check in the for sale section. There are a lot of guys selling LT1 and LS1 MAFs for fairly decent prices. $50 for an LT1 MAF is reasonable.

Later,

Steve.

K+N makes a nice 3.5" air filter might as well use the large opening to your advantage when you scare up the extra cash. :)

Originally posted by salvageV6
K+N makes a nice 3.5" air filter might as well use the large opening to your advantage when you scare up the extra cash. :)
I agree completely. I will definitely get one of those filters at some point.

I ordered my parts today. Translator, 3.5" MAF and a Scanmaster.
As for the used MAF's, I may get one for a spare sometime, but the new one is already coming. I have had so much aggravation with this situation, I want to know this MAF system is 100%. I know one thing for sure, don't want to get stuck buying an LS1 MAF from the Chevy dealer. I was quoted $219.98 this morning! :eek:
I found it for $129.99 at Full Throttle. Much better!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help.
Jeff

Jeff sorry i have to work on Saturday's now. Fri night or Sunday is all i can do.. :) Frank

I just checked on Sunday at Cecil, and it's for Summit ET Racing & Jr's. Whatever that means. I need a test and tune day. A couple friends are probably gonna come and race too, so Friday won't work. They can't make it that day.

Let me know if anything changes. It would be good to have you there. :cool:

Just do it

You caould always do what I did. I broke down ane bought a Big Mouth cold air kit. Not only does it flow like a SOB, it sounds freakin insane when you get into boost. :eek: :D

Jeff,

Come to think of it, just get 3" connectors at Home Depot. The pvc stuff is measured inside diameter and figure in 1/4" wall thickness...the 3" connectors should be 3.5" inside diameter and two of those would work in your situation and be even cheaper.

Mike

I have a powder coated 3" steel MAF pipe, so I'll need to do something with rubber after the MAF. The pvc will work good before the MAF though. Thanks for the tip. Maybe a threaded 3" pvc male adapter will work in conjunction with the heavy duty hose and clamps I already use at this location. If I smooth off the threads the hose should seat on that end. I'll have to take the parts along to Home Depot when they get here. I'll get it on there without it looking bad or being disfunctional.

Cold air will be a future add-on for sure. When it starts to warm next spring, I'll probably be heading back to Home Depot for more plumbing supplies. :D

Thanks, Jeff

Opps sorry I should have been more clear. I meant the rubber couplers that are used for the pvc. The rubber couplers are rated for the pvc's inside diameter, and are actually 3.5". One end will fit perfect on your LS1 maf and it will tighten down to fit your 3" maf pipe.

Mike

Forget the 3.5" & use a 3" in front of the throttle body. Blowing air will be far more efficient than sucking air & save $100.

Till I blow the guts out of it and send them through the engine!

I have heard very little about this setup. Tell me more for future info. Are you doing it, and with what results.

I'd rather let the turbo chew up the pieces before they get to the throttle body. The suction wouldn't equal the boost in terms of destructive power either. (At least that's how it looks on my minds black board. :D )

Jeff