Grand Cherokee steering shaft

gnfanatic

Hey guys, what years of the Grand Cherokee fits on our cars?? On one of the older posts it says 1995 but it cannot be only that year. Anyone know?? I would like to buy one.

thanks!
Ralph

I'm not sure about what years G. Cherokee's these come from, But I wanted to chime in and say that I installed one last week that I bought off eBay a couple months ago. Took me all of 40 minutes to install it.

Wow- I felt the difference in my steering as I was backing out of my driveway right after the install!! I didn't have any handling complaints before I did the install, but the car steers so much tighter now.

Do it!

John

Try this thread, I also picked mine up off ebay $22 shipped, needed a bolt, I picked up at ace, VERY BIG DIFF!!

TKGN1

steering shaft / intermediate shaft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those wanting/needing to replace the sloppy rag joint found in the steering shaft of the g-body:
Found some info on a couple other g-body sites that a steering shaft out of a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which has u-joints rather than a rag joint, will swap DIRECTLY over to our g-body steering.
Did the swap this past weekend, only took about 1-1/2 hrs, you will need the bolts that are on the jeep shaft as the g-body bolts will not work on the jeep shaft.
Definately less slop in the steering, easy and cheap upgrade.
link about shaft:
Upgraded Steering Shaft - OldsPower.com

jump on ebay this is the guy I got mine from alljeepparts401, lokk him up an check his store for (Jeep Cherokee Intermediate Steering Shaft 84-96)

I have one on my 82 Regal, got it from a guy over on the montecarloss.com website. $50 shipped

Took my Regal down to Pigeon Forge TN , in Sept to the RUN THRU THE HILLS event put on by the guys over at the Welcome to Pro-Touring.com & G-Machines.com website, and did the Tail of the Dragon, 11 miles 318 turns.... no slop, nice n tight with my 12:1 YA GN steering box.(looks a lot cleaner ,less cluttered and even better fit since I have Buick 455 with headers!!)

Here's the discussion link
Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - MonteCarloSS.com Message Board

the name of the guy getting those and refurbishing them, on that website, fivetodrive

Damn I glad I ran across this! I just about to sell my shaft unit because im selling my 96 Caprice!! Crazy how parts interchange like that!

Added questions..

I don't want to hijack the thread but instead throw in my experience.

I found a Cherokee steering shaft locally - the U-joints have no play. The piece appears straight and is rust free (shows some wear and loss of paint).
  1. The slip joint however is loose. In fact it comes apart - should that happen?
  2. I can put it back together but I notice there is a small amount of radial play in it when I apply turn either end. Will that translate into some play in the steering wheel when installed?
Is this thing good? Or should I go find another? Any input?
Thanks.

Yes some of them you can slide apart no big deal and you won't notice the tiny amount of play between the shafts do you have the early style one with 7/16 bolts 84-91 or the later one with 1/2 head bolts 92-96 either one will work but the newer ones clamp down better

It was a direct fit on my car using the year shaft I found. You would have to search the other main streering shaft thread for what year I used....dont remember

I haven't driven with it yet...

Are any of these shafts direct fit without any grinding/modification?

That was my question too - I found one - a guy parting out a 89 Cherokee I think - cost $15 plus gas money and a cold one.

I mocked it up on the carcass I have sitting in the garage - fit fine - slip joint in center allows telescoping - I guess thats a word. I don't have pics as I took it back off to sand and paint it. It will go on the GN when we get that far..... soon maybe.

A pic from TKGN1 in earlier post...

Mine looked good - just needed cleaning and paint.

Attachments

• 11-6-08%20005[1].jpg
    11-6-08%20005[1].jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,257
Anyone have any idea or know for sure what year/model a direct fit one would be that requires no modification?