?

STP

Narrow A$$ Racing
Anyone have any probs with T&D rollers not lining up directly on top of the spring? The roller tips are barely touching the valve and the intake rockers are touching the spring...any ideas?

Rockers

I've been running T & Ds for about 10 years. Cant say that I've ever had a problem with them riding on the valve ok, but a lot of them have had a little work done underneath to clear the valve springs. Scott, I also got a price on new shafts if you want to PM me. Ron

Thx Ron, i already bought the shafts. I can see on the intake rockers where the spring has rubbed the rocker at prior use...this kinda took me by surprise

Sounds like the valve teain geometry may not be correct, you may have to shim a little under the shafts.
Bill

Well, it's gonna need about 1/4" shim. Would a rocker arm stud be more likely to snap if the rocker shafts were shimmed? If i do shim them there is no way the valve covers will come close to meeting the gasket mating suface..

AHA

I think i may have found my problem. I found some pics of assembled stage 2 heads on the forum. I noticed that the tip of the valve sticks up quite a bit higher than mine do..The tips of my valves are almost even with the top of the retainer. Most others i've seen stick up about 1/4" above the retainer. I'm usin new Stage 2 SI stainless valves. Wonder if they sent me the wrong valves....

Stage 2 rockerz

As 8 sec said, could be the installed hgt.
It could also be as you said, wrong length valves.
Additionally, I think there is more than 1 pad hgt for the rockers to mount on. Aren't the T/D's different than the Jesel's??
I saw some failures on Kent R's car. The rockers had been under cut to clear the retainers. They broke in the edge of the milled area. This would be the area that yours are hitting??:confused:

At the last BOP, I saw that Champion had a big ass shim (long 1/4" plate) to correct this problem. Give them a call may be it will work for you.

ALL stage 2 heads begin as T&D style, they must be machined to use Jesel rockers. If you are using too long of a valve, the installed height will not be correct on the spring. How long is the valve? what is the installed height of the springs? Have you gone over the valve train geometry?
Lemme know if I can help.
Bill Anderson

Thx for the responses fellas. Since the heads are already torqued down on the engine i can't tell what the valve length is. I understand that the spring height would be off if i had the wrong length valves. I'm thinking that may be my problem. Either way the heads have to come off it. I'm gonna look at my SI valves invoice and see if i can find out what length valves i have versus what length i'm supposed to have. Then get ahold of my engine builder and check to see what the installed height of the springs is...I don't think valve lash caps would work since there is not enuff surface on the tip of the valve for the cap to attach to. I could be wrong. If i did utilize the spacer, which i've considered, how would i compensate for the gap between the valve covers and head surface?

?? Valves

STP, There are offset valve keepers that allow the installed hgt of the valves to be varied. If these are used on these heads, then the free stem length could have been taken up due to the retainer moving up the stem to increase the installed hgt. Might want to ask about that too.

Chuck

Stage 2 heads generally use a "super 7" or 10 deg lock with a titanium retainer, I'm not familiar with an "offset" retainer but the retainer location will not have an effect on the length of the valve or the valve stem in relation to the roller tip on the rocker., If the installed height is correct on the spring and the valvetrain geometry is correct, the only option you have is to clearance the rocker arm in the spring area. The older style T&D's do not have a relief milled into them and the newer ones do, you may just have an older style set of rockers that necessitate clearance when using a solid roller spring / retainer.
Bill

RETAINERS

Bill, the retainer is not the "offset" I referred to. There are keepers that have the lock ring in different locations so that the retainer can move up the stem of the valve to increase the installed hgt of the spring. I thot maybe they were used, which would reduce the amt of the stem that is above the retainer. The CC keepers raise the retainer .050".
If he is using the older style rockers you refer to, that .050" could make the difference between clearing the edge of the retainer and not.

Cu,

Thought you guys might like to know what i came up with. Currently my heads have springs measuring 2.100 plus the retainer. Comp sells a 2.00 spring for Stage applications. So what i've decided to do is swap for the shorter springs and use a different retainer as well. This should lower the spring .100 and will give me the clearance i need to correct valvetrain geometry...Should fix my prob

Originally posted by STP
Thought you guys might like to know what i came up with. Currently my heads have springs measuring 2.100 plus the retainer. Comp sells a 2.00 spring for Stage applications. So what i've decided to do is swap for the shorter springs and use a different retainer as well. This should lower the spring .100 and will give me the clearance i need to correct valvetrain geometry...Should fix my prob

installed height should be 2.00"..but keep in mind you said that the tip wasn't centered on the valve. Was it not centered because the rocker was hitting the spring/retainer? If so and you use a retainer & keepers that will give you a lower installed height, then that may help your problem. If the tip isn't centered on the valve and there's no interference, you'll have to shim the stands/add lash caps/mess with your valve length.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier to your email; I've been in the Seattle area all week with no laptop this trip. :)

That's why i'm trying to get the rockers mounted correctly!! Thx for the replies. Should have the new springs on the heads by the end of next week. Then i can measure for pushrod length..Scott