275 60 15's rub all of a sudden!

DJay

GN Novice.
Installed these with 5/16" spacers to clear the frame. For months they worked perfect; no rubbing, no nothing!

Yesterday i was investigating a grinding noise while turning, so I jacked the GNs butt up and took off the rear wheels. Found the problem (time fer back brakes) and put the wheels back on.

Now it seems everything has shifted towards the passenger side of the car; the inside driver's side rear tire is rubbing the inner fender wall when I go over larger bumps. :(

Plenty o "larger bumps" here in chicagoland, so this is becoming quite a concern, heh heh. Any ideas what coulda changed to cause this problem?!?

TIA.

Maybe your shocks have had it . Ive got the same tire on my car but with a 8.5 rim w/ 3.5 Backspace and mine rub on the bumps. The 300 lbs of stuff in my normal driving trunk dont help . air bags could solve the rubbing if you dont have em .

This is probably a stupid answer but did the tires go back on the side they came off of? Did you swap them side to side? If so maybe the offset or actual size of the tire is different? Just a guess since you didn't change anything else.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
This is probably a stupid answer but did the tires go back on the side they came off of? Did you swap them side to side? If so maybe the offset or actual size of the tire is different? Just a guess since you didn't change anything else.

Thats not a stupid suggestion at all. Actually, its a great suggestion that would be overlooked 99% of the time.

No i don't have airbags, although i spose i should consider em.

Tires came off and went back on the same sides, one at a time.

I was jus perplexed that they would start doin this only after i took em off and put em back on.

Shocks / airbags don't seem too expensive, and I know i can install 'em. Maybe i'll use this as an excuse to do em sooner rather than later....

BTW .. n e 1 heard n e information on using cargo truck springs in the back? Spoke to a real TR guy and he said thas what he uses; n e feedback regarding this?

THX again guys! U are the bestest! ;)

Did you actually do the back brakes? If so did you replace aluminum drums with steel ones by chance? Steel drums are thinner than the aluminum ones by about an 1/8 of an inch.

You beat me to it TRDirks...

TRDirks wrote : "If so did you replace aluminum drums with steel ones by chance? Steel drums are thinner than the aluminum ones by about an 1/8 of an inch."

I second this. I just replaced my non-turnable aluminums with steel. They are definately thinner. May have to run a thin spacer to bring them back out.
1/8" GM spacer #14091902
HTH, CaptRob