224 Stage I Single Turbo Buick V6 does the impossible. 8.76 @ 158.7

Will, it was not directed at you specifically. And I do appreciate the fact that you are man enough to make apologies openly, and not through a PM after openly attempting to humiliate a person. That does speak for your character. I do accept your apologies. No harm, no foul.

I look back at this thread and wonder. If I personally noticed a title to a thread where someone had achieved an 8 second run with his car, and I knew how hard he struggled to get it, especially with a combo that had never been proven, would I offer criticisms over the way he made his achievement? Or, would I simply offer my heart felt congratulations to the person?
I think that I would genuinely be excited for that person and try my best to show that person how sincere my congratulations for his achievement really was.
I certainly wouldn't use that persons thread as a chance to down play his achievement or try to make him look like he doesn't know what he's doing. I can't even imagine that. Why would anyone do that? That person could just start another thread if he wanted to bash a person that bad. But use a thread that should be a celebration of a persons achievement?

It's not everyday a person gets to celebrate breaking into the eights. Thanks to everyone for making this one so memorable.

Thank you so much to everyone that offered up sincere congratulations. I hope the best in your own personal challenges.

I look back at this thread and wonder. If I personally noticed a title to a thread where someone had achieved an 8 second run with his car, and I knew how hard he struggled to get it, especially with a combo that had never been proven, would I offer criticisms over the way he made his achievement? Or, would I simply offer my heart felt congratulations to the person?

Along your way to your new best you were offered extremely sound advice and if you had taken this advice CHANCES are you would not have struggled nearly as much and may have reached your goal sooner.
You make remarks about not having the money to do certain things,
every time you are at the track struggling it is costing you time(which is money in my biz) and money.
You have recieved info along hte way that would have saved you money IMO which is never a bad thing.

I don't get it

I am practically begging for advise on my build and yet i struggle to get replies.:confused: Mean while you guys fight with DonWG on building HIS CAR your way:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Along your way to your new best you were offered extremely sound advice and if you had taken this advice CHANCES are you would not have struggled nearly as much and may have reached your goal sooner.
You make remarks about not having the money to do certain things,
every time you are at the track struggling it is costing you time(which is money in my biz) and money.
You have recieved info along hte way that would have saved you money IMO which is never a bad thing.
I've explained this so many times. Yet, some of you still don't get it.
I preferred to follow a different line than everyone else. An unproven line to find out if my theories about certain things held any water. The last thing I was interested in doing was not performing my own research and just allowing people to tell me how to bolt together a certain cheap, boring, proven combination together. That would bore the heck out of me.
Sure it cost me more. Did I ever truly complain about that? It meant that I had to budget and go without certain luxuries, such as a DSS. No big deal. I still accomplished my goal, which was to explore unpopular ideas about a turbocharged engine.

My primary goal was not to just go fast. That's the goal of every teenage kid in the country. Right? That is what is tripping up a lot of you fellas out there.

The purpose of this project was to do my own research, learn, explore unpopular, different and new ideas about a turbocharged engine.
The only thing I'm disappointed about with the project is that I failed to realize that I needed a larger fuel supply system.
Original goal was 600 to 700 bhp. Realized goal? Not there yet. But, it's over 1,200 bhp. I would have to say, the project has surprised me in a good way, and has always been moving in the right direction. And, the fact that it is still moving forward is what keeps this project exciting for me. I'm not looking for a quick finish for this. I hope it goes on forever.

I debated posting this after Ottos post but... puck it!

It's because you didn't take the beaten path! You dared to do something different while an easier and proven way already existed. You seemed a bit unusual to me at first too.:tongue: Over time, I began to understand your ways of thinking and reasons behind you're actions.

If time is money how much have some of you "spent" on this thread. It still won't change the fact he has an 8 second car. He's not a class racer so what's the big deal. He isn't breaking any rules, hurting, or misleading anyone. Let him experiment, learn, and post results impressive to us or not.

Don, you should of kept your damn mouth shut, showed up to BG and went home with your pockets looking like they had the mumps!!:D

9 pages...:rolleyes:

I don't get it

I am practically begging for advise on my build and yet i struggle to get replies.:confused: Mean while you guys fight with DonWG on building HIS CAR your way:confused::confused::confused::confused:

If you had the money to spend freely without lots of time in between and the data logging stuff it would help a lot. I have been in your boat. I wont hide any info but thats just me.

Hey Don, maybe you should have threads were no one is allowed to reply.......just read! LOL.:tongue:
Now back under my rock........:rolleyes:

I've explained this so many times. Yet, some of you still don't get it.
I preferred to follow a different line than everyone else. An unproven line to find out if my theories about certain things held any water. The last thing I was interested in doing was not performing my own research and just allowing people to tell me how to bolt together a certain cheap, boring, proven combination together. That would bore the heck out of me.
Sure it cost me more. Did I ever truly complain about that? It meant that I had to budget and go without certain luxuries, such as a DSS. No big deal. I still accomplished my goal, which was to explore unpopular ideas about a turbocharged engine.

My primary goal was not to just go fast. That's the goal of every teenage kid in the country. Right? That is what is tripping up a lot of you fellas out there.

The purpose of this project was to do my own research, learn, explore unpopular, different and new ideas about a turbocharged engine.
The only thing I'm disappointed about with the project is that I failed to realize that I needed a larger fuel supply system.
Original goal was 600 to 700 bhp. Realized goal? Not there yet. But, it's over 1,200 bhp. I would have to say, the project has surprised me in a good way, and has always been moving in the right direction. And, the fact that it is still moving forward is what keeps this project exciting for me. I'm not looking for a quick finish for this. I hope it goes on forever.

True to a point,the help being offered came later into your project when you were expressing obstacles you were running into at this point you were offered advice from professionals that felt they could help you in reaching your goals with not what i would call theories.
I like your thinking out of the box for sure, and it neat to read about some of the mods you came up with that work for you.

I guess i really shook my head when you finally decided to swap out your Chance convertor and didnt give PTC a chance knowing the advances they had made working with the V6 engine.
Yes I realize its your choice to make as to where you buy your parts but to skew away from a brand that has basically wiped out competition in the V6 market with incredible results to try your own way,well i just don't know.

If you had the money to spend freely without lots of time in between and the data logging stuff it would help a lot. I have been in your boat. I wont hide any info but thats just me.

His combo is completey off the beaten path and i like it,dont take what i post the wrong way.

NO ONE is here telling him to stroke the motor,put on better heads,change his cam,go back to gas,take off the nitrous
These are the major parts that make his combo off the beaten path.

The turbo on the other hand gives him a huge obstacle to overcome,
(i know he said he is thinking future with this turbo)

As far as his torque convertor is concerened, its not like he is building this himself from scratch and trying to reinvent it,if that was the case i would leave that alone and listen to what he finds.
I realize he is most liklely giving input to his convertor guys but i dont consider it off the beaten path to use a brand convertor that is putting huge amounts of time and r&d into their V6 convertor program.

His combo is completey off the beaten path and i like it,dont take what i post the wrong way.

NO ONE is here telling him to stroke the motor,put on better heads,change his cam,go back to gas,take off the nitrous
These are the major parts that make his combo off the beaten path.

The turbo on the other hand gives him a huge obstacle to overcome,
(i know he said he is thinking future with this turbo)

As far as his torque convertor is concerened, its not like he is building this himself from scratch and trying to reinvent it,if that was the case i would leave that alone and listen to what he finds.
I realize he is most liklely giving input to his convertor guys but i dont consider it off the beaten path to use a brand convertor that is putting huge amounts of time and r&d into their V6 convertor program.

The quote was for the other guy that asked why it was so hard for him to get help.
I understand your converter opinion, but why is it that people keep comparing his car to combos that are not like his. It's been the same " but so and so did that and he had this, not that" when Don posted his results.

I think thats what the issue is here.

Some of you are putting way too much concern into my TC problem. Dusty will get his chance, after I have finished getting the engine to FULL POWER. Who knows. Maybe by then he'll have an even better idea of how to handle my strange combination.

That could be it.:confused:

but why is it that people keep comparing his car to combos that are not like his. It's been the same " but so and so did that and he had this, not that" when Don posted his results.

I think thats what the issue is here.

plus 1
its either get flamed for trying something deferent or be part of the herd of sheep. lose lose

That could be it.:confused:

plus 1
its either get flamed for trying something deferent or be part of the herd of sheep. lose lose

Hey trust me, if I can save you some money time and headache I will. Thing is, if you want to do it your way and accept the learning ups and downs, fine by me. I think that is the theme here in this thread.

I have watched you struggle for quite some time. If you were closer I'd help you in my free time no charge. Sometimes you have to go against the grain to make things work for you. I love watching the Top Secret Modified cars run. There are some that will feed you information and help you out but not all of them.

I don't get it

maybe you should come across as arrogant...then don't take friendly advice...then make a post saying you did then impossible, against all odds without the help of those who tried to help

As Ed Valvo stated above, it is the journey. How many of us remember the first stop light to stop light race we had, and won. Who remebers having your car run a 7.80s in the 1/8 when your friends Mustang was running 7.0's but your mph was 3 higher than his and you knew it was something in your combo that could be done to get you in the sixes. I know that that was my very first goal once I got my buick. 14 years later, same car everything except the tranny that it came with and it runs 6.40s all day. With these cars everyone has had their personal trial and tribulations, that's why many have dropped out of the game over years , was it funds, parts availability, breakage, or just lack of interest. This drive is what has pushed many of the people on and off this board to run 8's, 7's and even 6's. I wish that I had TIME to throw "outside the box" stuff @ my stage 2 project, but I don't have the MONEY to fix it if it breaks. Hopefully someone has seen his car run at his local track or read about it elsewhere and was inspired to go out and purchase a GN to race or collect, purchase TA products or buy that set of used M&A heads that they see forsale in the ads. The first combo is the struggle , the second combo is usally done very differently. Don, congrats on your personal goals.

Thanks.

Building my own engine from scratch has been a dream of mine since elementary school. I used to spend time trying to figure out how I could get those see through, cutaway, plastic engine models to actually run. I figured out pretty quick that wasn't practical.
It was then to model airplane engines. Then to my first build on a 307 SBC during HS. A budget 12.5:1 street build. The limited success of that build kept me interested in the workings of high performance engines.
Then came the interest in a turbocharged car. To get my feet wet, my first Buick V6 build followed the crowd, except for the alcohol fuel. That engine blew and the ideas for the next build started swirling in my head immediately while I was still trailoring the car at the track. You guys know the rest.
Your absolutely right. It is the journey. Some of you do get it.

maybe you should come across as arrogant...then don't take friendly advice...then make a post saying you did then impossible, against all odds without the help of those who tried to help

LOL, I should ask DonWG to write my thread titles.:biggrin: Id probably be in 9s by now.

Sorry DonWG i love your write-ups, i just find it amassing how much info gets pumped in them in between all the jabs and straight rights. You keep writing and i'll keep reading.