2007 Silverado Classic Code 0449 Help

Heg87t

Slightly Compressed User
Hey Everyone,
5.3L v8.

My engine light popped on this week. Code is 0449 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction. I cleared the code and it came back about a minute later. Still runs strong. I can't notice a difference with the light on.

Anyone on the board have expericence with this one? Ideas for fixing?

TIA

My CEL has been on with that code for about 4 years now. I was told the vent valve solenoid gets messed up when you over full the tank and liquid fuel hits it. There is supposed to be a revised solenoid kit that relocates it higher so no liquid will get to it. Not real high on my list of money to spend. I think the stock replacement valve is only $25 but te revised kit is about $100. Not positive on that though as it has been a long time since I checked on it.

Thanks Jeremy. I can't say I have found a downside yet either.

There won't be a difference with driveability. The vent valve is the most common evap problem on most vehicles. You have to use a scan tool to operate the valve to diagnose it properly.

Never heard that explanation,yes we replace them everyday all day:) commom on these trucks. Solnoid burns out...open circuit...ses light comes on. Of course no harm other than pissing off the EPA:)

Thats a common failure on any gm car.I use a h4 bulb with a pigtail on in. I unplug vent and plug my bulb in and then command vent on and off. If bulb lights the circuit should be good. The vent is normally open. I have seen a few with a corroded harness where pigtail for vent comes out of main harness. hope this helps. good luck

Never thought about using a bulb. I always use a multimeter and it almost makes it a two man job. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks guys. I cleared the code and it stayed off for a day and is now back on.

Where is the evap canister located?

Don't want to piss off the EPA ya know!! ;)

Your evap stuff usually only works between 1/4 and 3/4 tank. It should be back near the fuel tank and the vent will be attached or near the spare tire depending on weather its already had the update or not.