2004r

cdw1946

hi,i'm new here. got a 2004r and converter a few years ago. came from a 85 monte and the guy said it had about 5000 miles since a rebuild and worked great. car got t-boned and i ended up with the trans. have not opened it up yet but it passes the eyeball test. i want to put it behind a 370 horse street motor. i rebuilt turbo 350's for about 15 years,but never a 2004r or other modern trans. in your opinion,what would be a must for this trans. to hold up on the street. thanks very much for your opinions.

At a minimum you need to read the sticky at the top of this forum. While all might not agree with everything in there, Bruce is one of the gurus and nice enough to put it in print. Your next call should be to one of the gurus( David Husek is always very helpful).

Minimum for me was hard sun shell,hard rings for pump, hard stator support, solid teflon rings(as apposed to the cut ones) on the shafts, Quality clutches and band and good steels. Also have to measure the sections and get the clearances correct. Not close, not good enough for govt work, correct. larger boost vales and spring for pump and an aftermarket servo for second gear.

When you have more money a billet shaft forward drum and dual feeding the directs might be on your list.