2004r

jarheadcmchnj

have a rebuilt trans with a different torque converter. same symptom before swap,does not lock up at 50 mph,tried different ecm and chip,tried new brake pedal switch,still no lockup,engine turning 3000 rpm at 50 mph. any ideas?

Have you verified the solenoid inside the transmission is working? I had no lock-up and had good voltage and ground to the treanmission plus good resistance check through the TCC solenoid. Went ahead and replaced the solenoid and all is well now. It's about $40 through NAPA.

thanks for the reply nmtom.i was not clear the first time.i had the same symptoms with the original trans,i replaced the trans,converter,and ecm,it still will not go into lock-up. the advice you gave was good though,i will test the circuit at the trans,any idea what the voltage should be at the ecm? any help is appreciated

Check fuse labeled "ECM/Solenoid" on the fuse block.

I believe it is on the upper left -or- upper right. I had the same issue and all it was...a damn fuse. Felt like an idiot for about ten minutes.

no lock-up

jumped a to f, changed shift points, but no lock up.i have 12 volts at the ecm tan w/black wire,will check at trans tomorrow . thanks

If your shift points changed when you jumpered "A" to "F" (it should have shifted sooner relative to speed) then I would say it is locking up. How are you determining if it is locking or not?

shift points

you are correct, the trans shifted sooner,after jumping a to f on the aldl.at this point i don't know what is going on.i asked a gm mechanic and he told me the trans was not locking up,i don't know how to tell if it is or not.all i know is,the trans is not shifting at approx.50 mph like it should. it is over-revving.at 50 mph i am turning 3000 rpm .it should be around 2250 rpm.i tried moving the tv cable with no luck.i had this rebuilt trans in an 87 t-type and it shifted correctly.any advice is appreciated! thanks, dan

you are correct, the trans shifted sooner,after jumping a to f on the aldl.at this point i don't know what is going on.i asked a gm mechanic and he told me the trans was not locking up,i don't know how to tell if it is or not.all i know is,the trans is not shifting at approx.50 mph like it should. it is over-revving.at 50 mph i am turning 3000 rpm .it should be around 2250 rpm.i tried moving the tv cable with no luck.i had this rebuilt trans in an 87 t-type and it shifted correctly.any advice is appreciated! thanks, dan

Are you sure it's shifting into O.D.? What converter are you running? Is your T.V. cable adjusted correctly? Under light throttle, your 1-2 shift should be around 10-15mph, the 2-3 shift should be 20-25mph, and the 3-4 should be in the 40-45mph range. I assume this is a BRF trans.

shift points

thanks once again,i have tried just about every position on the tv cable,my shift points will change,but the car over-revs in first.the tach goes into the red,and the car bogs and backfires.it will not shift at 50mph like it did before,i am not getting the 3-4 shift(overdrive?).these are the same symptoms i had with the original trans and converter.trans was rebuilt locally,converter is a stock unit from e-bay.all these problems started when my ecm went bad,i had no injector pulse on #3 cylinder.i have tried 2 other ecm's,same thing, i now have 6 cylinders,but can't jump on the gas pedal.i have to use 3/4 of the pedal so it won't over-rev. help!

Here are the questions I need answered before we can go any further.
1) Do you have the original BRF transmission ?
2) Do you have the T.V. cable adjusted properly ?
Disconnect the T.V. cable from the throttle linkage, open the throttle wide
open, pull on the T.V. cable until it stops, the pin on the throttle linkage
should line up with the hole in the cable end. (this will give you a starting
point)
3) What stall converter did you by off of ebay ? Is it a D5 ?
4) Once you adjust the T.V. cable as I described, what are your shift points
under light throttle ?
If you do indeed have the correct transmission and converter, the late shifting is usually caused by a misadjusted T.V. cable or the spring fell out of the governor. Post back with the answers to all of the questions and we will move on from there. :smile:

confused

i have the original trans.and converter.during the time i was trying to figure out this problem,my original trans started to slip in the 1-2 shift and while backing.i swapped the trans for one i bought for my 87 t,a couple of years ago.i took that trans back out because i did not like the high stall converter that came with it.i tried the original converter with the new trans,and the car would not move,got a d5 and re-installed original trans back into 87 t,every thing worked fine.that left me with a rebuilt trans and a high stall converter.fast forward to now,i took this spare rebuilt trans with a d5 converter{from e bay} and installed into my 86 gn. i don't know which is bad from the 86 gn; converter or trans,so i replaced both. i have the same symptoms with this replacement trans/converter that i had with the originals ,before i burned them up,i am not getting the 3-4 shift.i tried adjusting the cable as you stated,it quickened the shift points;1-2 15mph,2-3 25mph under light throttle,no 3-4 shift,keep in mind i had these same symptoms with the original trans and converter that came with the car new.is there anything electrical that would not allow the 3-4 shift? thanks for your help, dan:confused:

There is nothing electrical that will keep the trans from shifting. All the shifts are controlled mechanically in the trans. A no 3-4 shift can be caused from different problems inside the trans. 1) a stuck 3-4 shift valve 2) a plugged orifice in the spacer plate 3) a leak or blockage in the center support 4) damaged seals on the 4th clutch piston 5) large leak in the 3-4 accumulator. Sounds like the trans will have to be taken apart to see what's going on.

i am an idiot

i had an inspiration,i shifted the gears manually;the trans is shifting into 4th,but the 1-2 and 2-3 are so close ,you can't feel 2 shifts,only one.i will move the tv cable to spread them out. i think the speedo gear is wrong for this trans.i believe i am going faster than what is displayed,that is why the rpm's are higher,i will check my speedo with another car or a radar sign,thank you for all your help,i should have thought of this sooner,but the symptoms matched the original trans symptoms,and i jumped to the wrong conclusion,sorry for the trouble,but at least i know expert help is only a click away,thankj you. dan:smile:

i had an inspiration,i shifted the gears manually;the trans is shifting into 4th,but the 1-2 and 2-3 are so close ,you can't feel 2 shifts,only one.i will move the tv cable to spread them out. i think the speedo gear is wrong for this trans.i believe i am going faster than what is displayed,that is why the rpm's are higher,i will check my speedo with another car or a radar sign,thank you for all your help,i should have thought of this sooner,but the symptoms matched the original trans symptoms,and i jumped to the wrong conclusion,sorry for the trouble,but at least i know expert help is only a click away,thankj you. dan:smile:

No Problem :)