2004r with deep pan and 7004r filter trick?

??????LOST?????? What does this mod do? Does it place the filter closer to the bottom of the pan so it dosent get uncovered on a hard launch? Also how do you trim both sides of the tube if one end is permanently attached to the filter ?

Just did the Hughes pan from Summit on my Janis 200. Comes with the 700 filter. Vince uses a 2nd rubber gasket in the filter tube area of the valve body. For what reason, I am not sure, but when we were installing, we noticed a blue rubber gasket in there already, we called him and he said leave it in there.

Hope this helps
Coach

So when you pulled the 2004r filter out, the o ring was still in there and you were told to leave it as well as use the new one on the 7004r filter?

Thats pretty weird. Anyone know why?

??????LOST?????? What does this mod do? Does it place the filter closer to the bottom of the pan so it dosent get uncovered on a hard launch? Also how do you trim both sides of the tube if one end is permanently attached to the filter ?

When you pull the pan and filter from your transmission, you will see the 1/4 inch tube that needs its' ends trimmed inserted into the valve body. It runs front to back along one side, and is held in place by a clip.

Cutting 1/4" off each end puts the tube closer to the VB, making more room for the filter.

700 filter feeds from the bottom rather than the top, and is better for hard launches for the reason you gave.

When you pull the pan and filter from your transmission, you will see the 1/4 inch tube that needs its' ends trimmed inserted into the valve body. It runs front to back along one side, and is held in place by a clip.

Cutting 1/4" off each end puts the tube closer to the VB, making more room for the filter.

700 filter feeds from the bottom rather than the top, and is better for hard launches for the reason you gave.
I figured as much but i wanted to make sure..Thanks for clearing up the tube thing for me much appreciated my trans is still stock and functioning well i want to do all i can to help it live:cool:

just curious where to get these gaskets you are talking about for the transmission??thanks Brian

What is the purpose of the tube to be shortened? Pumps fluid from what to what?

hello people's: I'm in the same boat as what a filter change is going to do for a TB trans. A larger pan I see as it hold's more fluid and that would help in cooling but a filter? Maybe with a larger pan a longer filter is needed? I have a larger pan, stock filter. Is that a problem? Also seems like all the larger pans have a drain plug witch is nice.
I'm in the lost mode.
IBBY

I just finished installing the tranny with has an Art Carr deep pan. After searching I found Advance Auto Part had the replacement (ProKing #FK-171). The counter guy show me several different type of cars listing with this tranny filter. The one I have is from a 85' Chevy Monte Carlo (7004R). No need to cut or trim the edge, but the only problem I had was the gasket. The 7004R gasket is different than the 2004R so I had to purchased the the 2004R filter as well for the gasket leaving me with a new 2004R filter. I guess I can trim off the top of the 2004R filter, but the filtration is being feed from the top instead of being feed from the bottom like the 7004R filter.

They refer to the tube that runs along the valve body, its a long metal tube runs back to front and it interfers with the filter when its installed.
My question was what is its purpose.

Thanks Nasty! I just like to know what I'm playing with :wink:

So the procedure is remove filter, retaining clip on 1/2 signal pipe pull out pipe shorten long end of signal tube 1/4 inch. Cover the 4th gear switch with heat shrink or equivilant. Reinstall tube and retaining clip, install new 700 filter new pan gasket, add fluid (1/2 liter over full same as regular 200 filter?)?

And you just need to shorten the longest end of the signal tube by 1/4 of an inch correct?

They refer to the tube that runs along the valve body, its a long metal tube runs back to front and it interfers with the filter when its installed.
My question was what is its purpose.
mine never interfered with filter:confused: it went in with no problem

I just finished installing the tranny with has an Art Carr deep pan. After searching I found Advance Auto Part had the replacement (ProKing #FK-171). The counter guy show me several different type of cars listing with this tranny filter. The one I have is from a 85' Chevy Monte Carlo (7004R). No need to cut or trim the edge, but the only problem I had was the gasket. The 7004R gasket is different than the 2004R so I had to purchased the the 2004R filter as well for the gasket leaving me with a new 2004R filter. I guess I can trim off the top of the 2004R filter, but the filtration is being feed from the top instead of being feed from the bottom like the 7004R filter.

I don't know how Advance came up with that? Monte's never came with the 700R4 Trans.
You can buy Filters & Gaskets seperately.
You can see the metal 1-2 Signal oil tube & other Filter tips here>> THM 200-4R about 3/4 way down Pg.

OK, I did more research and found Fram's filter web site that shows and make of cars that uses this type of tranny filter, and the Competitor Cross Reference.
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=FT1074

You guys are reading way too much into this.

The deep pan trick helps hold more fluid, obviously. The BOTTOM feed 700-R4 filter is better than the TOP feed 200-4R filter. This is where the confusion comes in I'm thinking.

Under hard acceleration, the fluid will naturally flow to the back of the trans pan. On the stock pan and filter this is bad. Since the 200-4R's filter is on the topside, it could cavitate the pump by drawing air; meaning it wasnt submerged in trans fluid. Thereby starving the pump of fluid and possibly causing damaged to the trans.

The 700-R4 filter prevents this from happening. When I bought my Art Carr pan from Kirban's, I had to grind down the four "posts" on the inside. That's where the 200 filter would have sat. You need to grind those away to allow room for the 700 filter to fit.

Use a 200-4R pan gasket with the new pan. 700-R4 gasket wont fit, obviously.

Setup should hold around 3 more quarts of fluid (+/-). I have this setup on my GN right now and have been 11.30s with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Scott

You guys are reading way too much into this.

The deep pan trick helps hold more fluid, obviously. The BOTTOM feed 700-R4 filter is better than the TOP feed 200-4R filter. This is where the confusion comes in I'm thinking.

Under hard acceleration, the fluid will naturally flow to the back of the trans pan. On the stock pan and filter this is bad. Since the 200-4R's filter is on the topside, it could cavitate the pump by drawing air; meaning it wasnt submerged in trans fluid. Thereby starving the pump of fluid and possibly causing damaged to the trans.

The 700-R4 filter prevents this from happening. When I bought my Art Carr pan from Kirban's, I had to grind down the four "posts" on the inside. That's where the 200 filter would have sat. You need to grind those away to allow room for the 700 filter to fit.

Use a 200-4R pan gasket with the new pan. 700-R4 gasket wont fit, obviously.

Setup should hold around 3 more quarts of fluid (+/-). I have this setup on my GN right now and have been 11.30s with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Thanks for the simple clarification. there is a guy on youtube demonstrating this "fix" by JB Welding the perimeter crimp of a 200-4r filter . He claimed the seam was responsible for sucking air and proceded to installed the new filter after applying a silicon bead around the crimp as good measure ! (Bad Idea)

He was so convincing that many could have believed it. It is nice to get effective solutions on this board.

hello: I also am thanking Scojack for his words on the subject. I get it now.
I've been cumming to this site for a while and sometimes with answers to questions rather than just answering the question you have to follow the thread a bit before the answer appears.
IBBY

Thanks for the simple clarification. there is a guy on youtube demonstrating this "fix" by JB Welding the perimeter crimp of a 200-4r filter . He claimed the seam was responsible for sucking air and proceded to installed the new filter after applying a silicon bead around the crimp as good measure ! (Bad Idea)

He was so convincing that many could have believed it. It is nice to get effective solutions on this board.

All I did was put the filter on and bolted the pan up. I never touched any of the fluid pipes or wiring in my trans. No problems yet.

If you run the Art Carr pan, you might have to clearance it some around where the accumulator is. I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. I didn't on mine, but Ive heard from my trans guy that you may have to in some cases. For me, it bolted right up.

hello: I also am thanking Scojack for his words on the subject. I get it now.
I've been cumming to this site for a while and sometimes with answers to questions rather than just answering the question you have to follow the thread a bit before the answer appears.
IBBY

Not a problem.