2004R Transbrake. How does it work?

gg64ss

I understand the workings of a powerglide and turbo 400 transbrake. I don't understand the 200. I need an explanation of how it works. Can it work on the street? I was told that it won't slow down the car when stopping. It that true?

No, that is NOT true.

gg64ss said:
I understand the workings of a powerglide and turbo 400 transbrake. I don't understand the 200. I need an explanation of how it works. Can it work on the street? I was told that it won't slow down the car when stopping. It that true?

It works by holding the L/R clutch, the direct clutch and the forward clutch on all at the same time, basicallly "locking up the transmission. When the Electric button is released, it lets the direct clutch release, allowing the car to move in low gear. The BAT BRAKE also incorperates an automatic shift mode. Forward pattern shift pattern. If you had one installed and did not tell anybody it was there, they would never know it.
As for those "bang the shifter to 2nd to release brakes work completely different. They hold everything on and you have NO low gear anymore.
They are also a bomb witing to go off. Those cheap, dangerous and "novelty" brakes , as we call them, are dangerous and people have had success with them. But they are a ticking time bomb. Somebody will be hurt or killed at one point. Stay with one of the reputable companies that build an electric brake. They are safer and work much better with no thrashing of the shifter, cable, person driving, and reliable.
Here is a link to ours:
http://www.ptsxtreme.com/mcartfree/product.asp?intProdID=89

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

Bruce, you have my curiosity up! What is wrong with the manual trans brakes? I have one in my car and haven't had a problem yet. If there is a problem waiting in the wings, what is it? How does the manual transbrake work? Why shouldn't I be using it? What damage could it cause?

Transbrake

Bruce, you have my curiosity up! What is wrong with the manual trans brakes? I have one in my car and haven't had a problem yet. If there is a problem waiting in the wings, what is it? How does the manual transbrake work? Why shouldn't I be using it? What damage could it cause?

The load is transferred through the low sprag when the brake is released. Sprags do not like being whacked. They have a tendency to blow up if a roller is cocked on the ramp when loaded. This causes catostrophic failure. Ask a Chrysler guy about the sprag in Torquflites. The sprag is the weak link and it takes all the load.
Plus, in a brake like you have, you no longer have a manual low option.
If you would like to go into detail and/or if you have any questions, give me a call and I will answer any of your questions.
I do not want to type a whole big deal if you have specific things you would like answered.
Have a great weekend and if wish to chat, give a ring.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com
916-739-0510
9-5 M-F

I'm not trying to high jack this thread but I more or less just found out my car came with one of these manual brakes. My question is, I've been having issues with my car taking off in second gear while the shifter is in OD. I mean evertime I come to a stop light, it turns green and I'm sluggish until she hits around 15-20mph. Anyhow, could a manual transbrake cause this to happen? I've hard my Gov maybe bad but now I'm wondering if my brake is turning into a bomb as you put it?

Thanks
Ray

What we are talking about..

I'm not trying to high jack this thread but I more or less just found out my car came with one of these manual brakes. My question is, I've been having issues with my car taking off in second gear while the shifter is in OD. I mean evertime I come to a stop light, it turns green and I'm sluggish until she hits around 15-20mph. Anyhow, could a manual transbrake cause this to happen? I've hard my Gov maybe bad but now I'm wondering if my brake is turning into a bomb as you put it?

Thanks
Ray

Has nothing to do with your issue. You have another issue, unless the sprag is already "rolled". Does the brake work? Will it hold? You , have something else going on I believe but I could be wrong. It is possible tho, that the sprag has already hurt. Why it takes off in 2nd gear is usually high line pressure at idle and by high I mean, over 145psi at idle.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

Thanks
Ray

You could try backing off the the TV cable one or two clicks to lower the pressure. This will not effect the WOT pressure unless you back off the cable too far.

Hey thanks Guys.

The brake works just fine as far as I can tell. You can put it in Manual 1st and build boost without it moving or using the brake pedal. Then slap it in second and off you go. Anyhow, I just thought I would ask. As for the line pressure, how do I check for this and were do I buy a gauge for it?

Thanks again
Ray

You ck it..

Hey thanks Guys.

The brake works just fine as far as I can tell. You can put it in Manual 1st and build boost without it moving or using the brake pedal. Then slap it in second and off you go. Anyhow, I just thought I would ask. As for the line pressure, how do I check for this and were do I buy a gauge for it?

Thanks again
Ray

At the port above the shifter. It is an 1/8th inch pipe plug pressure tap and here is the gauge system to have.
Product Information

Good luck and have a great week.

Bruce
WE4
Performance Transmission Services

On top of the $600 for the unit, how much would it be to have the VB modified and everything set up to just bolt in?