2004R Problem

Darkside

Bought a used 2004R from a junkyard, guy told me the tranny worked. I pulled the pan and everything thing looked real clean, no burnt fluid, no trash in the pan. Anyways, went ahead and put a B&M shift improver kit in tranny and mounted tranny in my vehicle. I fill the tranny up and try and put my vehicle in reverse, nothing happens. I put tranny in drive and hear quiet whinning or buzzing. I do remember having problems mounting Pressure regulator spring included in the shift kit, boost valve would stick in bore, would this keep the tranny from shiffting at all? I don't remember havng a clearance problem when I mounted convertor bolts to flex plate. Any suggestions?

First course of action is to make sure that the transmission is pumping fluid. The easiest way to do this is to make note of the fluid level on the dipstick with the engine OFF. Should show considerably overfull.

Then start the engine and recheck the level. If it hasn't dropped any, it's not pumping fluid through the system. If it is pumping, perform a line pressure check. This test will reveal hydraulic problems.

One other thought. Are you absolutely positive that you got the manual valve hooked up corectly inside the transmission? That is the valve actuated by your shifter that is linked by an S-shaped wire; see photo.

Attachments

• 386000_pho12.gif
    386000_pho12.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 153
Greg,
Checked fluid, it does go down when I start vehicle. I also pulled the pan to check "S" link, its's attached. I pulled the pressure regulator valve, a real pain to get out, checked it to make sure I put the valve assembly in the order B&M recommends, it was fine. I put everything back together, it still buzzes when I put it in drive,nothing in reverse. How do I do a line pressure check? I know were the oil sending unit port is above the selector lever.
Thanks for the quick response !

Get a 0-300 psi pressure gauge with a long hose and a 1/8 NPT male fitting on the end. Hook it up to the port over the shifter lever.

Jack up the car so that the rear wheels can turn. Check the pressure in each shifter range at minimum TV pressure and maximum TV pressure by manually pulling the TV cable to full travel while keeping engine around 1000 rpm.

Let us know what readings you get.

Does the transmission have four forward gears at this point?