2004R Hardened drive shell....what is it?

PaulRV6

Is this needed for a common rebuild? At what point is this needed? Thanks

paul

Yes because they are cheap. More commonly known as a sun shell and they are weak in the spline area.

I think maybe starting in 86 they came with the good sun shell . If yours doesn't have it you need one and yes , they are cheap . :)

Yours has 25 years of power run through it. Put in a new one for $20-40 or run what cha brung, your call.

I think it is cheap insurance to spring for a Sun shell and a hard stator support. Your views may vary.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

In that case why not replace every part in the unit and add all billet parts.......:)

Cost

The two things I mentioned are known to fail. The rest is not as prone to failure. You know this. For $40 a new set or who knows how much to replace the rest. Billet is nice but until you are knocking down deep 11s regularly and stuff is failing it is just expense.

Chrome don't get ya home, but it sure is pretty.

How's your two builds coming along? If I wasn't so lazy I'd be out in the garage.

Me too, they are in the same state as last Sunday. Hopefully I will get them finished this weekend. Then next week I can drive the Grey T to work and align it. Maybe start on the install next weekend. I plan to paint the entire floor pan while the tranny is out too.