2004r A-Body swap Angle problem??

WE287GN

Read quite a few posts over at v8buick... Being a fan of the 2004r and having the extra parts, I really want to build one up or my 70 Skylark 350..

A problem that seamed to pop up was the trans mount or crossmember..

Something to do with angle being off enough to create vibration problems..

I guess guys are using spacers to adjust , but coming close to the floor, even wiht new body mounts.

Just wondering if anyone has been in contact with this situation.

Thanks

I built a 72 Cutlass for the wife and I put an HO307 from an 83 H/O, my 2004R with a D5 and the stock mount from the original TH350 and the angles were the same as the TH350 had. I moved the crossmember back to the TH400 position and bolted all down. I don't remember off hand what my measurements were as that was 9 years ago.

Attachments

• 1972_Cutlass.jpg
    1972_Cutlass.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 139
Nice!!
Ya, thats what I have been reading, 350 x-member pulled back to the 400 spot..
Funny, I kinda remember the 307/2004r from my old 86 Regal , didnt have the same trany mount as the 3.8/2004r ..I recall some thick spacers ..But then again, I think there were no isolation pads at the frame...Darn, brain fart..I wonder now if it was a different x member as well, since I think it was bolted staright to the frame..hmmmm?
Two seperate frames I know, just wondering if there is some madness to it.

We have one in our 70 GTO and the install went as if GM intended the 200-4R to go in that car.

We had a 350 crossmember from a LeMans around and used that as the original crossmember was MIA. The General was even nice enough to pre-drill the necessary spare holes in the frame for us! No vibration issues whatsoever. The trans sits correctly in the tunnel with plenty of room to spare.

Good info..I wonder why some are having troubles??? Sounds good though..Easy swap..just the TV cable and LU to deal with..Read many good posts from both boards on that stuff...
Thanks