2000 Chevy Silverado?

DCVING 6

Looking at a 2000 Chevy Silverado for sale, and was wondering if it would be enough to pull my car with a trailor? It is the 2WD model with V8, looks like a work truck, so I would assume its the smaller 5.3?

Autotrader add

I have a 2005 w/t chevy and there is no way I would ever trust it pulling a car. That may have heavy duty suspension which would help, I would check!

I have a 2005 Silverado 1/2 ton...5.3 V8...it's a work truck so it came with tow package...I did switch out the cheapo OEM tow bar for a better one...stock only rated for 5000lbs...new one is rated at 6000lbs...truck is rated to tow more than that...I've towed my "T" on a rented UHaul trailer (about 5400 lbs total) many times and it pulls very easy...no problems...haven't gone up any big hills but I'm sure it would do OK...slow but OK...

I've got a Jeep Cherokee right now, and it is rated for 5000 lbs, but know it wouldn't do it.

Thanks for the input.

Don't know if I am any help or not, but we pull the GN and GS on a trailer with my 2000 Silverado. Completely stock(not for long :D ). It's the V-6 version which makes gas mileage worse while hauling but it seems like it pulls the trailer and car fairly easy. Use it every year when we go to Noble and Temple, and San Antonio and its great. I would figure the V-8 would pull better even with 2WD and the 5.3 litre , just my .02$ worth.

I have a 2006 silverado with tow package. It is the 5.3l v8 completely stock and I pull my GN on a open trailer with no problems. My car is kept up north in the mountains and I have no problems towing up hill. I think as long as you have the v8 engine with tow package you should no problems no matter what year the truck is. If you are unsure about the purchase call chevy and they will be happy to give you any information that you need.

Sorry yes it will be with an open trailor.

That was the only thing that worried me was the towing package. From the one picture, it only has a "bumper ball". I don't have a problem adding my own hitch and wiring, but don't know what else is involved with the tow package. Guess I will call the dealer and find out for sure.

DCVING 6 said:
Sorry yes it will be with an open trailor.

That was the only thing that worried me was the towing package. From the one picture, it only has a "bumper ball". I don't have a problem adding my own hitch and wiring, but don't know what else is involved with the tow package. Guess I will call the dealer and find out for sure.

I would take the absence of a heavy duty hitch as a good sign in that it hasn't been treated too hard. But the overall condition of the truck is a better way of that.I think it would be OK, just don't tow in OD,add a tranny cooler and the trailer must have good brakes.

I have a 99 silverado with the 5.3 and tow package. I pull my car, 4 wheeler, mini bike, and a whole bed full of tools and parts with no problems. Oh yea, my trailer has no brakes, and its not a problem at all.

Add a tranny cooler and a good hitch and you should be fine.
FYI: the 5.3L was the biggest motor you could get in a 1500 series truck. There was also the 4.8L V8. -Mat-

SVT F15O said:
Add a tranny cooler and a good hitch and you should be fine.
FYI: the 5.3L was the biggest motor you could get in a 1500 series truck. There was also the 4.8L V8. -Mat-

Yea after looking into it a bit, since it is a work truck and 2WD, it probably has the 4.8.

no problem

as long as its the 5.3 , it;ll tow great, recommended capacity is something like 7500lbs,
I have towed a flat bed trailer with full size car, from coast to coast close to a dozen times, with no problems whatso ever , trailer has brakes, but still use caution.
and.... I normally get 14 mpg towing !!!!!!

good luck
cruzn57

Update

Well I ended up with a Tahoe. It's a 99 with the 5.7L Vortec. One owner, detailed maintenance history, and very very clean.

The best part is it is white with blue interior, same as my Buick. :D

tahoe15he.jpg

i have a 2006 4wd z71 with the new 5.3L all aluminuim engine (330 HP :) ) i have no trouble towing my buick and a 16 ft all steel trailer. and it has plenty of brakes to stop it also but i did add trailer brakes for a safety factor.

this truck towes far better than my old 94 k 2500 z71 with a 5.7 TBI

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 2wd exten. cab with the 5.3. I tow my Buick on a open trailer (car 3,350lbs trailer 1,600lbs) 10,590 lbs truck,trailer,car and loaded. I put a trans cooler and a set of air bags on rear springs and this thing tows great. I load it up and towed from Fla. to Bowling Green for the last five years and this year a trip to the meet at Indy. Plus to local tracks and car shows all over Fla. I can pull Monteagle in Tennessee on highway 24 at 65 mph without breathing hard.. its a 5% grade for 6 miles (run away truck ramps on the down side) and it gets 14 to 15 mpg towing (in overdrive). I don't known how the 4.8 would do, but I don't think it would be much different. I can say the 5.3 does a great job for me. If I was going to do a lot more towing I would get a 2500 with a Dura-Max Diesel. Then I could pull whole Monteagle mountian away...lol

SloGN said:
i have a 2006 4wd z71 with the new 5.3L all aluminuim engine (330 HP :) ) i have no trouble towing my buick and a 16 ft all steel trailer. and it has plenty of brakes to stop it also but i did add trailer brakes for a safety factor.

this truck towes far better than my old 94 k 2500 z71 with a 5.7 TBI

I also forgot to say that it has the factory towing package on it from gm. the trans cooler and heavy duty brakes. it's the strongest level truck in the 1500 class.

I'll throw in my .02 cents too....I had a '97 Chev 1/2 ton, 350 cu./in, ex-cab 4x4 pickup that I used to pull my cars to the track. As said above, it did okay, "with no problems". However, after buying my 3/4 ton Duramax, it became very apparent that my '97 really wasn't that stable in pulling the car to the track. I'd definitely make sure you have trailer brakes and the brake module installed up in the cab. :)

MrBuickGN said:
I'll throw in my .02 cents too....I had a '97 Chev 1/2 ton, 350 cu./in, ex-cab 4x4 pickup that I used to pull my cars to the track. As said above, it did okay, "with no problems". However, after buying my 3/4 ton Duramax, it became very apparent that my '97 really wasn't that stable in pulling the car to the track. I'd definitely make sure you have trailer brakes and the brake module installed up in the cab. :)

my old 94 K2500 z71 was not that stable also. it also had no power with the 350 TBI. i should have gotten the 454.

my 06 1500 z71 is twice the truck the 94 was