200-4r

Starbuck

ok im really new to all this tranny stuff! i am building a old rat rod and someone gave me a 200-4r tranny from a 80s caddy! my question is! can i run the tranny in my rat rod without any kind of computer? thier is a set of wires comming out of my tranny ! but what are they for? all the rebuilt trannys ive seen have this area blocked off.:confused:

If you plan on highway use, you'll want the wires (lock up converter's solenoid is inside). No computer needed.

I'd call CK performance for a shift kit and bigger servo for the 2nd gear band.

Should be fine in a light rat rod unless you go wild racing high HP and slicks.

My .02-- for free.

<>

no not planning to drag race the car just run bias ply tires and have it look old school. and it will be under 300 HP, probbly will run on highway too.cruse to shows and around town.

If the trans is in good shape, the shift kit and bigger servo should put you on the road. If you find crud and need to have it rebuilt, the alto red kit and wider band are nice; a set of steel pump rings and a hardened stator support too.

When you order your shift kit you should also get a normally open pressure switch (stock is normally closed), so you can make the locking converter lock. The general consensus here seems to be that a vacuum switch isn't needed. You may want to talk with Chris a bit about your application and let him know the code off the trans tag (hopefully AA). A full on turbo GN racing shift might be a tad harsh for a rod.:biggrin:

Most likely you've heard about the TV (throttle valve) cable; it is required and needs an adapter on the carb linkage to get the travel right.

The diagram in post #7 of this thread should work: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/273491-brake-switch-lock-up.html
I don't know personally that the TH400 case connector fits the hole in the case, but imagine it does or plcguru wouldn't be showing it.:)

Patient searching on this forum should get you any answer you need, as it's all been done a zillion times.

Enjoy the ride...

<>