200-4r OG code trans

kevins88ss

Hello, It's clear you guys are the undisputed pros on the 200-4r transmissions. I'm in the process of getting my 200-4r transmission rebuilt and had a question that I was hoping one of you could help me with. I picked up another 200-4r that is code "OG". The full code is:342 1T850G0852. I have a complete rebuild kit, a 10 vane front pump, a Trans-Go HD2 shift kit, a BowTie Overdrives TV kit, and a TCC lockup kit.

Would I need to pick up a new servo? Are the valve bodys the same? If not, then I could always pull my current 200-4r out of the car to have it rebuilt.

Thanks for any help you could provide.

Hello, It's clear you guys are the undisputed pros on the 200-4r transmissions. I'm in the process of getting my 200-4r transmission rebuilt and had a question that I was hoping one of you could help me with. I picked up another 200-4r that is code "OG". The full code is:342 1T850G0852. I have a complete rebuild kit, a 10 vane front pump, a Trans-Go HD2 shift kit, a BowTie Overdrives TV kit, and a TCC lockup kit.

Would I need to pick up a new servo? Are the valve bodys the same? If not, then I could always pull my current 200-4r out of the car to have it rebuilt.

Thanks for any help you could provide.

OG valve body isn't recommended for performance: See "Cruiser77" posts on fighting to make one work right.

I'd check with CK performance/ Brian/ Jake for a good valve body, shift kit and servo. They'll have other suggestions- depends on your application.

I got one to work reasonably but once I had switched to the CQ that's in there now I don't think I'll try another. I could get the WOT right on the 1-2 but then the 2-3 was lower & the 3-4 was lower still.
I had it so it was 6200 on 1-2 -- 5800 2-3 & 5200 3-4.
So if you have a good perf. VB use that but you can use the trans for the build.

Thanks Jim! So if I don't expect to be up in the high 5k's for shift points - you don't see me having a problem with the OG model? As for VB's - is it as easy as me unbolting the trans pan and taking the VB off and giving it to my trans guy? I'm thinking I'll need a servo too....

If the VB you have now shifts @ the RPM you want both WOT & PT I'd just use it. The RPM spread was always there when I started working the gov. for higher shift points. The higher I went the more the spread.

Jim- Sorry about turning your Handle around. Thanks for jumping in.:)

Kevin- There are many little things about these transmissions which need to be addressed, and most are torque dependent. (On the other hand, I'd run a wide Alto red band and bigger servo on my wife's station wagon). One thing which isn't dependent on torque is using steel rather than cast pump rings. Hopefully your new pump has them.

AFAIK the cases and rotating assemblies are pretty much all the same out of GM. It's the valve bodies, governors, separator plates, servos and accumulators which lend the various codes their personalities. The OG rotating assembly could be rebuilt, and the above items swapped on from your current transmission. (Note: valve body and governor should be used as sets; mixing them around generally has undesirable results).

I'd suggest reading the top 'sticky', and if your engine will be making hefty torque, using one of the vendors here as your builder. They'll know what is needed for various applications and power levels.

No you didn't turn a thing,:cool: I had it decent most said it was a waste of time. I didn't want to prove anybody wrong either I just wanted to see for myself & besides that's all I had to work with at the time.:)

Okay. I pulled the transmission out of the SS and it's a CZ code. So I'll just have the shop rebuild it. I was hoping to build up a core and have my existing one on stand-by. I really appreciate the help. I've read a ton on this site regarding the 200-4R's and ordered up parts accordingly (and as budget allowed).

Since this is my 4th post - I'll try adding a pic or two of my ride.

Thanks again guys.

FWIW, reading about Eric Schertz brought tears to my eyes. I sincerely wish I had the opportunity to have met him as he seemed like a one-of-a-kind person who had a level of passion for what he did that's very rare these days.

Some pics...thanks again...Kevin

P1000095s.jpg

P1000097s.jpg

DSC02180s.jpg

DSC02183s.jpg

DSC02185s.jpg

Thank you. Route 26 in Raymond, Maine. Just a few miles from my house. It was a beautiful evening so I took a cruise and got some pics.

Northern MN couple years ago.
I should add this pic is famous, it's in Chris's book.:biggrin:

Attachments

• The fun stuff.jpg
    The fun stuff.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 776
Choo choo! That's an awesome pic! Love the car! There seems to be something wrong with your rear tires...

What we don't see here is the police car just out of frame.

The harder I try to communicate, the worse it gets...

Jim... "Handle" is ham radio slang for name (as in your screen name, which I recalled wrong).

Kevin... the sticky I was aiming you at is this one, which you have undoubtably read. I'd have sworn it was on top.
Sticky: ATTENTION!!!! NEW VERSION!! Strengthening The 2004r

Both you guys have great cars; maybe some day mine will run.:rolleyes:

As a matter of fact I did happen to read that article. Several times actually. It was written so well that I almost believed I could overhaul it myself. :)

Hey Kevin, nice to see another Monte guy over here as well. I just joined up recently.
Anyway, you're right these guys are the real pro's when it comes to the 200-4R. Hope all goes well with the rebuild.

Hey ExpreSS!
Thanks Chris. BTW, I looked at the stuff you offer and wish you were closer to me so I could have had you build it up. I read through your Stage1 and Stage2 GM trans and bet they're amazing. If this one grenades I might look you up and stop dorking around with the local shops.