200-4r donar cars

turbottime

Need a Turbo Buick 200-4r trans,cant find one in these parts,wonder about donar cars and what would be involved in making it work like a Turbo Buick trans.

I think the late 80's Cadilliac rear wheel drive cars with the 307 Oldsmobile engine are good donor transmissions. Might let others chime in with their opinions.

I think the late 80's Cadilliac rear wheel drive cars with the 307 Oldsmobile engine are good donor transmissions. Might let others chime in with their opinions.

BRF, BQF, CZF, OZ... those I recall off the top of my head....

Might add that the only real difference is the valve body, governor, servo, and wiring. You can find and add these to almost any 200-4r that you find, and at reasonable cost depending on what you buy and where. Other than that you want to find the newest one you can. Later 80's ones had some revisions that earlier trans. did not. Not a huge factor, but if you find a bunch of standard cores, grab the newest one.

I am a true blue newbe (for the sake of brevity I will leave it at that!) and I purchased a KZF 200-4r tranny. Installed it only to find out that the trans plug in my 87 GN has 4 wires the tranny takes a three wire plug. Can this be corrected or do I go back to the seller and cry foul, because he knew i was a newbe?:confused:

The KZF trans was either the 86 or 87 442 trans. Good trans. Medium sized servo. My wife's 442 has the stock calibration in it and with CK's 2-3 fix, will actually bark the tires into 3rd. This is with a 180hp engine. Swap out connector and add the wire and pressure switch for 3rd gear.

Thank you for the reply. My 87 GN is a bone stock car and will stay stock. I want to become a good shade tree tuner (I will explain this later). Please point me to some instructions, i.e. swap out connector and add wire and pressure switch for third gear.

Might add that the only real difference is the valve body, governor, servo, and wiring. You can find and add these to almost any 200-4r that you find, and at reasonable cost depending on what you buy and where. Other than that you want to find the newest one you can. Later 80's ones had some revisions that earlier trans. did not. Not a huge factor, but if you find a bunch of standard cores, grab the newest one.

This is exactly the sort of info I was digging for in one of my posts!
Good info!

I am a true blue newbe (for the sake of brevity I will leave it at that!) and I purchased a KZF 200-4r tranny. Installed it only to find out that the trans plug in my 87 GN has 4 wires the tranny takes a three wire plug. Can this be corrected or do I go back to the seller and cry foul, because he knew i was a newbe?:confused:

Fairly easy to change out the plug and harness within the transmission. You may have to add one of the switches. Do you have your original BRF to pull the internal harness from ?

2004r was available in any GM mid or fullsize sedan from 81-90 with any size engine. As long as you use any good quality shift kit, and servo the trans code or donor car doesnt matter cause your changing calibration of trans. Only big difference to look for is year model. You must use 83-up trans for ecm controlled car

I purchased the car without a trans in it. The trans model year is 1986. Is there a good supplier for the shift kit, and servo you are speaking of? I tried a GM dealership parts dept. and they told me they needed the VIN # of the car in order to help me. I tried to tell them that the trans was diff than the one that came with the original car...

Dealer will give you the stock calibration. Look up CK Performance on this site. I build my own kits for the 2004R but have used his at customer request and they work great. No complaints and no problems in setup. Greatly engineered. Not like a B&M that just has you shim accumulators and drill some holes. Chris' kit works with pressure rise so it doesn't slam into 2nd at low speeds.

I just installed the tranny. Does this mean I have to pull the tranny out to change it from a 3 plug connector to the 4 plug connector using the suggested kit?

Pull the pan, carefully press the 3 tangs that hold the connector into the case and push outwards. Lube oring on black 4 pin connector and install from outside of trans. New pan gasket and more fluid is all you should need. If the trans is already built/fresh, won't need a new filter. You will need to knock out the cup plug for 3rd gear switch and tap it out with a 1/8 NPT tap and install the normally closed switch. Run the one extra wire over to it and done. Can't remember off hand what terminal it will be. :frown: Sorry.