-20 AN hose assembly tips

KEVINS

I completely destroyed a -20 hose fitting attempting to assemble my new radiator hose. Does anyone have a solid process in installing these -20 fittings w/o scratching or crushing it?

One end was in the vice of my milling machine and the other end was being turned by a huge crescent wrench and a 3ft long cheater bar. This process ended up crushing the part in the vice b/c it was trying to spin in the jaws then the part threading into the nut got cross threaded .125" from being fully tightened down. Naturally the anodizing is gouged to hell too.

For those who have done the -20's w/o scratching them how did you do it?

ks

I found the issue. I'm using a Earls hose with Vibrant fittings.
Vibrant doesn't make a black nylon hose so apparently I purchased Earls instead. Earl doesn't make Black -20 fittings either so I'll have to modify the ID of the Vibrant nuts to get them to fit the larger Earls hose.

ks

I have -20 on my intercooler hose and I'm sure they are black fittings from earls. Either way. I use assembly lube on the fittings and just inside the hose to help it all move.

You are correct though. The fittings and hose have to be compatible.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I eventually got one on. I had to machine down part of the lips on the inside of the nut in order to get the thicker hose to squeeze into it. The nut got marred up a little but not too bad.
Lesson learned. Don't mix and match parts if possible.

ks