2 post lifts?

BuickMike

Money pit
So I'm thinking about getting a 2 post lift. Any reccommendations for brands?

Please don't talk me out of a 2 post lift. A drive up lift is not what I'm looking for.

My garage has a 12ft ceiling, so I'm just looking for something that is 7000lb capacity and will lift a vehicle just over 6ft. I have a 10" slab and a 220v 20A circuit for it.

What about brands like Atlas, Bend-Pak, Torin, etc?

Here's a Torin for $1399. Seems like there are several out there in the $1500 range, but I'm not sure of the quality.

7,000 Lb. Symmetric Floorplate Two Post Vehicle Lift

You need to make sure it is certified by automotive lift institute your life depends on it. I work with them everyday. I have a 2 and 4 post lifts at my house and both are benpaks. I have alms 2 post at my shop watch out buying from cosco and places like that really cheap junk.

Bendpak is now made in china

DO NOT let anyone scare you into the "only US made ones"

so are some of the components of alot others made over seas.
there is nothing wrong with the chinese made ones,
I have had foreign made lifts for years, with no issues EVER.
yes, I've read or heard about falling lifts, but there is never a clear story as to why ( like operator error)
let your common sense be your guide.

You need to make sure it is certified by automotive lift institute your life depends on it. I work with them everyday. I have a 2 and 4 post lifts at my house and both are benpaks. I have alms 2 post at my shop watch out buying from cosco and places like that really cheap junk.

I'll look into this, but is this some standard that manufacturers need to buy into to get?

How thick is your slab in the garage? I have owned a few and prefer the asymmetric it is easier to work with open doors.
Mike

The slab is 10" thick. The Torin is out. My friend bought one of their floor jacks and it crapped out after a few months. He cannot get a hold of the company to get warranty parts. No phones are answered and nobody returns emails.

This is the type of info I'm looking for - personal experience with different companies.

10" is thicker than 90% of industrial buildings that hold machines. Most garages are 2' or 4". 2" is too thin to hold a 2 post lift.
Mike

10" is thicker than 90% of industrial buildings that hold machines. Most garages are 2' or 4". 2" is too thin to hold a 2 post lift.
Mike

Yup. It's super thick. When I was building it, I contracted a company to pour a 6" slab. After pouring the finishers got lazy and did a terrible job. They also put in a 4" step at the back which I specifically asked them not to do. I got the owner over to the house and showed him what happened. He was trying to offer a free floor coating but that was not going to cut it. He ended up adding 4" more of concrete and having it finished properly. They also re-poured a section of my driveway to slope up to the new raised garage floor. It turned out good in the end.

I have a Rotary asymetrical 7000 pounder, had it for about 12-13 years and haven't had any problems but they are pricey. I am very happy with it. Best of luck.

I just installed my 9000 lb 2 post with clear floor (overhead post connection). I got it from American Automotive Equipment , so far so good , but it did get beat up during shipping and some parts were missing due to one box being broken open during shipment. They made it right and works good. Just remember that shipping is $300 to $450 depending on where you live and you need to have the means to remove it from the truck when it arrives. Google "auto lifts" there are many dealers & brands . There is nothing better than having a lift at home, now even cleaning the wheels and rocker panels is easy.:biggrin: Sam

I just installed a new Bend Pak, asymetrical in my home shop. Awesome!! It cost me 3200.00 thru my Cornwell dealer. Easy to install, 10,000 lb. With 10inches of concrete, you should have no issues. Phil.

So I'm thinking about getting a 2 post lift. Any reccommendations for brands?

Please don't talk me out of a 2 post lift. A drive up lift is not what I'm looking for.

My garage has a 12ft ceiling, so I'm just looking for something that is 7000lb capacity and will lift a vehicle just over 6ft. I have a 10" slab and a 220v 20A circuit for it.

What about brands like Atlas, Bend-Pak, Torin, etc?

Here's a Torin for $1399. Seems like there are several out there in the $1500 range, but I'm not sure of the quality.

7,000 Lb. Symmetric Floorplate Two Post Vehicle Lift

The ultimate lift is a Mohawk. I you are looking for a 7,000lb, look into finding a used System 1 Mohawk, the later models are rated for 10,000lb.

Also pay attention to the lift arms.

You have to be careful in your selection of the lift due to the 12' ceiling. With a 7000lb lift, you are pretty much limited in lifting just cars. If you have a full size SUV or P/U, the 7000lb lift with be over loaded.

I have the same issue as you, as I have 12' ceiling and have a full size diesel P/U. I'm in the market for a 12,000lb and Mohawk just came out with their LC-12 (a System 1 lift rated at 12,000lb)

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The ultimate lift is a Mohawk. I you are looking for a 7,000lb, look into finding a used System 1 Mohawk, the later models are rated for 10,000lb.

Also pay attention to the lift arms.

You have to be careful in your selection of the lift due to the 12' ceiling. With a 7000lb lift, you are pretty much limited in lifting just cars. If you have a full size SUV or P/U, the 7000lb lift with be over loaded.

I have the same issue as you, as I have 12' ceiling and have a full size diesel P/U. I'm in the market for a 12,000lb and Mohawk just came out with their LC-12 (a System 1 lift rated at 12,000lb)

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Seriously????

I've been considerring a lift myself but haven't done any research what-so-ever yet, cuz it's a 'next spring' thing at this point. I have mostly trucks, but a 12,000lb lift for a 6,000(-)lb. truck? What's going on there? Is Double the rating really a serious safety consideration, necessary for operation in the "Real World", or just insurance?

"He ended up adding 4" more of concrete and having it finished properly."

So how did he avoid a dry joint??

My old career (transmission installer) used rotary brand lifts andd I liked them so much I wouldn't use anything else. We had a gear wear out in one of the pumps ( several years of twice a day lifting), one phone call, they shipped us a brand new complete pump/motor assembly, FREE, told us to keep the old one in case we needed something else or just pitch it. When I buy a lift I'm calling rotary. I know others are also good, but my experience leads me to someone I already trust.

Make sure you get one where the arms lock once lifted, so they can't kick out if the vehicle shifts. We got an in ground one where they don't, and had a veteran tech somehow drop a truck when it was rocked a little and a rear arm kicked out. No one was hurt but scary sh!t for sure. Also I prefer the flip up adapters instead of the stackable ones, the flip ups fit under cars and low profile vehicles better. I used 9000lb'ers and once lifted 10,500 on it with no issues other than the pressure bypass in the pump was telling me not to! I know that was stupid but I was young and dumb and single back then.

Seriously????

I've been considerring a lift myself but haven't done any research what-so-ever yet, cuz it's a 'next spring' thing at this point. I have mostly trucks, but a 12,000lb lift for a 6,000(-)lb. truck? What's going on there? Is Double the rating really a serious safety consideration, necessary for operation in the "Real World", or just insurance?

Yes seriously.

It's not weight, the lift is more than capable in lifting the truck. Problem with lifts, you'll need to max extend the arms to safely lift the truck. The arms will start sag big time. That's the reason for heavier lift. The heavier lift will have more beefy arms.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I have a Rotary asymetrical 7000 pounder, had it for about 12-13 years and haven't had any problems but they are pricey. I am very happy with it. Best of luck.

Is that the low ceiling model? They have discontinued it,I had to get a regular height model. They now have a "revoultion" line that compeats with other brands They run about $2000-$2400.