2 1/2 or 3 inch exhaust on a buick grand national?

rickyracer01

my car has a hooker exhaust system on it right now but its all rusted out. what are most of you guys running? 2 1/2 or 3 inch. my motor is stock with just basic bolt ons.

I'm running the 3" 304 stainless RJC exhaust on my '87 GN.....it's great!!! Sounds great, looks great. Fits great.:) Really a nice exhaust system, so happy with it.

Bruce '87 Grand National

2 1/2" Stainless ATR with Pitbull Mufflers here!

X2.

A long time ago, I did back to back runs with my dump open and closed to determine how restrictive the exhaust system is. In my case, there was no real difference in boost level or quarter mile mph with the dump open or closed. This led me to believe that the 2 1/2" system flows plenty, at least at my performance level.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would go 3".
That way if you choose to start adding power mods you won't have to buy exhaust twice. 3" will not hurt the motor over 2.5" even if your stock....

I listened to hyeboost on youtube w the 3" gn1 dual exhause same as tr customs exhaust and fell in love w sound. Have mine just have to do it.

RJC 3" stainless here, installed 2 weeks ago at a friends house with a lift. Sounds and looks great. Turbo's all about flow, more flow/more HP. Like someone said above, as you add to your car it will be one less thing to buy twice.
my 2 cents. ;)

A 3 inch system sound like the right choice. I just don't want something that's loud. would like to keep it quiet. cops out here in Florida like to harass a lot cause of loud exhaust systems.

A 3 inch system sound like the right choice. I just don't want something that's loud. would like to keep it quiet. cops out here in Florida like to harass a lot cause of loud exhaust systems.
You might want to look into the three muffler set-up, others on the board have gone that route and love it. I went another route and did my own quiet set-up. It is a 3 inch set-up that has single in/ single out 3 inch Dynomax VT (it has an internal valve to eliminte drone) located before the rear axle feeding a camaro style (1 in 2 out) 3 inch Dynomax UltraFlow that is located between the fuel tank and rear axle. Its is VERY quiet but deep. I have an electric cut-out that I open if I want it loud. Here is the link: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/whisper-quiet-exhaust.387399/

Dual 3in, ceramic coated pyped. SS magnaflows. Hate the magnaflows, love the pipes.

I would go 3" now, like has been said, if you upgrade later you have the system to support the mods.

You might want to look into the three muffler set-up, others on the board have gone that route and love it. I went another route and did my own quiet set-up. It is a 3 inch set-up that has single in/ single out 3 inch Dynomax VT (it has an internal valve to eliminte drone) located before the rear axle feeding a camaro style (1 in 2 out) 3 inch Dynomax UltraFlow that is located between the fuel tank and rear axle. Its is VERY quiet but deep. I have an electric cut-out that I open if I want it loud. Here is the link: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/whisper-quiet-exhaust.387399/

Funny you metion the vt mufflers cause that was my first idea. I wanted to order just a pipe kit without mufflers in 3 inch and add 2 vt mufflers. Hooker has a pipping kit available but only in 2 1/2 inch.

Funny you metion the vt mufflers cause that was my first idea. I wanted to order just a pipe kit without mufflers in 3 inch and add 2 vt mufflers. Hooker has a pipping kit available but only in 2 1/2 inch.
"Pypes" sells the exhaust kit without mufflers and you just use whatever mufflers you want. Go on their site and look for the part#. Then itll by plug and play for the most part.

"Pypes" sells the exhaust kit without mufflers and you just use whatever mufflers you want. Go on their site and look for the part#. Then itll by plug and play for the most part.

I looked on there site but was only able to find a 2 1/2 inch kit that was a direct fit. They do have a 3 inch but its a x pipe design that has the pipes exit in the rear.

I got the 3" from full throttle speed and like it, although i did have to take it to a muffler shop for a bit of modifying to get it to fit. Ignore the sound of the bad altenator...