1999 GTP ??s

z1huggy

I've been loking at Buick Regal GSs and Pontiac Grand Prix GTPs lately and like the interior of the GS and exterior of the GTP. anyways....

My first question is did the GTP in 1999 have a ram air looking hood as a option with two scoupes?

Are the two cars (GS and GTP) both as quick or is one faster? I'd guess the GTP :D

Are there any years that are not recommended? I though I read somewhere to go with the 99 and newer models.

Any issues mechanical/body/electrical etc that are problems?

TIA - though I know this forum doesn't get a lot of love :D there is a lot of knowledge here.

97 and 98 had a different air box. The 99 and newer suck air from behind the headlight, and removing the headlight is worth .15 or so. The hood you are talking about sounds like an SLP Performance GTX (like mine), or it could have the hodd installed on a regular GTP.

I found the hood from a link you posted in another thread, its the ASCD "SD Style" Ram Air Hood on http://www.3800performance.com

Its on a 66k mile used 99 GTP. If the previous owner put the hood on I'm wondering what else they did. I may have a look just to check it out :)

Don't buy a '97 if you plan on mooding it. The only "custom" tuner out there (Digital Horsepower) has the code for 98+ cars. I like my GTP a lot, the only complaint is about the trans - it sucks **** (even an aftermarket one). The interior of my GP squeaks a little bit, but I have Koni adj. shocks and Eibach springs. Also, I don't know if the GS has HUD (heads up display). It displays your speed, radio station, CD track, brights, all the important stuff. Very useful 'cause you don't have to look down to change stuff (sterring wheel controls). My only other complaint would be the flimsy cup holders - my drinks end up in the back seat a lot - these things have a **** load of torque. Any other questions?

I know of a lot of GTP's that are running fast, but that's cause Buicks are for old people. :D

You can get a ram air hood such as SLP's or ASCD's. If you want one, I can get a cheaper price than advertised from a friend.

Heh, :)

Heh, don't listen to him! Buy any year you want. There are 97 PCM's currently available and MORE will be coming quite shortly!

Originally posted by TRYMY231S
Don't buy a '97 if you plan on mooding it. The only "custom" tuner out there (Digital Horsepower) has the code for 98+ cars. I like my GTP a lot, the only complaint is about the trans - it sucks **** (even an aftermarket one). The interior of my GP squeaks a little bit, but I have Koni adj. shocks and Eibach springs. Also, I don't know if the GS has HUD (heads up display). It displays your speed, radio station, CD track, brights, all the important stuff. Very useful 'cause you don't have to look down to change stuff (sterring wheel controls). My only other complaint would be the flimsy cup holders - my drinks end up in the back seat a lot - these things have a **** load of torque. Any other questions?

I know of a lot of GTP's that are running fast, but that's cause Buicks are for old people. :D

You can get a ram air hood such as SLP's or ASCD's. If you want one, I can get a cheaper price than advertised from a friend.

sure...

like the Charged Air Intercooler or SLP headers...:rolleyes:

BTW, Charles, ar you disagreeing with everything I said?

Originally posted by z1huggy

Are the two cars (GS and GTP) both as quick or is one faster? I'd guess the GTP :D
Nope, neither is faster than the other given equal conditions. I like them both, but prefer the Buick myself, and I'm still in my 20's. ;)

thanx for the info, I'm kinda leaning towards a 99 GTP though with the zero percent financing I may steer towards the 2002 GTPs. I definatlely think the GTPs look better on the outside, hmmmm Guess I've got till Sept 3rd to decide for the zero % :D

GTP's are really nice. I got to test drive a new one a few months ago, when I was out looking for another car. Little did I know, but a month later I would buy a car w/ the 3800 supercharged engine. It wasn't the GTP though (due to the high price), it was a Pre-Owned Buick Regal GS. I had no idea these cars shared the same engine, until I started doing more research.

I did enjoy the GTP's heads up display...good idea. But, after a while it was a little distracting. That's just me though.... ;)

I do like the looks of the GTP...much racier in appearance. However what I like about the GS is that it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. No one expects a Buick to blow them away. (Well, depending on who or what you race)

Enjoy your new GTP!
:D