1989 New York Auto Show pics

troGNman

Got Portholes?
I found these shots when I was going through some old photo albums. I owned an '86 GN at the time and thought this was a pretty cool concept.

From what I remember this was only a rolling chassis as it had no powertrain and was intended to be rear drive only.

Attachments

• syclone1.jpg
    syclone1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,495
You don't happen to have any photos of the 20th Anniversary Trans Am at that show. I remember seeing a photo somewhere where Pontiac showed of the TTA at the same show .... would be really cool if you do have it.

You don't happen to have any photos of the 20th Anniversary Trans Am at that show. I remember seeing a photo somewhere where Pontiac showed of the TTA at the same show .... would be really cool if you do have it.

Yup, got that pic too!

I'll have to dig through some albums to find it and I'll post it up.

These were from the NY International Auto Show at the NY Coliseum.

you can really see the influence that car had on the next generation s series though. that concept is like the in between of the 93-94 front ends

BTW: which concept had a buick 6 for power, that was the chevy wasn't it?

you can really see the influence that car had on the next generation s series though. that concept is like the in between of the 93-94 front ends

BTW: which concept had a buick 6 for power, that was the chevy wasn't it?

I seem to remember a pic in the magazine (maybe Sport Truck?) that had a yellow S10... looked alot like the one in the pic above... except yellow..... that had a 3.8L turbo 6 in it... I think it was the prototype for the syclone.... not real sure why Chevy decided to scrap the 3.8 and go with the 4.3L.... but I specifically remember the yellow 3.8 turbo concept truck.... with those same GTA wheels.... sweet ride.

I'm sure that at least part of the decision was the fact that NO 700R4 had a bop bellhousing. To run overdrive they would have had to run a 200-4r, which would require a divorced transfer case and a bunch of engineering. I doubt they were willing to use an adapter plate or run a 3 speed since it was a high end type of vehicle. Overall the 4.3 was probably less engineering since it was already there. AND the fact that chevy guys wouldn't buy one with a buick 6 in it.

Turbo 4.3 had been completely developed for the ZR-1 and was production ready, but GM brass decided that Corvettes HAD to have V-8's. A V-8 wouldn't fit under the hood of an S-10 and still pass front end crush tests so it was a natural match. No awd to put behind the 3.8 was another good reason.

Ahhhh beautiful pics man. GM also had the very rare turbo fiero Indy pace car edition that was the same "white" as the Turbo TA. ::sigh:: if only they put the GN motor in a fiero as a stock car. that would be so sick on those highway runs. 2600 pounds and 360 ft lbs of torque = nasty win.

here it is btw 232 turbo charged horsepower in a small little car.

Attachments

• fiero.jpg
    fiero.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 326