1987 T-Type with a V8?????

Charles Young

C Young
Going to Western NY tomorrow for a little time with inlaws and due to my weakness did a quick Craiglist search; came up with this:
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/5645674949.html

I tried to correct him and he stands firm that it is a 87 ttype with factory V8.........????
Anybody want to try to educate him? Seems like an OK guy, just misinformed, or is it me?

Looks like a pretty nice car either way!

Yup, that was an option for the Regal. They probably didn't know how much they were giving up going with the 307.

Going to Western NY tomorrow for a little time with inlaws and due to my weakness did a quick Craiglist search; came up with this:
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/5645674949.html

I tried to correct him and he stands firm that it is a 87 ttype with factory V8.........????
Anybody want to try to educate him? Seems like an OK guy, just misinformed, or is it me?

Looks like a pretty nice car either way!
Sorry to say but you're the one who's "misinformed". o_O Like "Pronto" just said, T-Types were indeed available with a small block Chevy V8 307's…

Claude. ;)

The "T" doesn't mean turbo. Kirbans book has a full explanation of the options. Claude, that's an Olds engine.;)

Ok so now I'm confused. Are you guys saying this is really a Ttype or no? Didn't the Ttype end production in 86 regardless of the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T is strictly an ornamentation package, with no significance to turbocharged. Also, starting in the '87 model year, they dropped the type designation. They are strictly Ts or T packages, no types. They are signified with a single, red T over black, square emblem, positioned on both fenders.

Once, I even saw an '87 or '88(long since slipped my mind) Buick Century Limited with a T package driven by a lol in a pl, so I had to stop and talk with her for a moment. I asked her a few questions bout it, and she said she was the original owner. It had T badges on the fenders and a 3 spoke, leather wrapped, sport steering wheel with T horn button.

Last edited:
I remember the "T " package was offered for the Regal, Century, LeSabre and Park Avenue models….(maybe Skylark too but I'm not sure…)

Claude.;)

Grandntl also came with v8. When l bought my first Gn told salesman I wanted v8 he said 6 had more power. After a test drive I understood.

The t type designation was last used in 86. In 87 you could get the T option group with any regal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yesterday a guy tried telling my that our cars could be ordered with a standard shift tranny. I suggested he seek mental help. Was he right?

There was no manual transmission option available on any A/G body in the States or Canada after 1981. Some late 70's MC had manuals.

This would be a great platform for a motor swap!!! Turbo LS or LQ. Well, except for the fact that it is a T Top car. Even a SBC crate motor would be awesome.
Does anyone know if this car has a BRF trans and 8.5" rear diff? If so, that would make it even better for a mid-performance V8 swap.

Don't know but I asked him to send me the RPO sticker. If I get it I'll post it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if this car has a BRF trans and 8.5" rear diff? If so, that would make it even better for a mid-performance V8 swap.

No, they're 7.5" diffs with a 2.56:1 ratio. The trans is the 200-4R, but I'm not sure if it's the same that came on the turbo cars. I think production numbers for that combo were around 1,700. I've owned one of these combos since about 1996. It was a good car for a teenager, but no threat to anyone at a stoplight.

T is strictly an ornamentation package, with no significance to turbocharged. Also, starting in the '87 model year, they dropped the type designation. They are strictly Ts or T packages, no types. They are signified with a single, red T over black, square emblem, positioned on both fenders.

Once, I even saw an '87 or '88(long since slipped my mind) Buick Century Limited with a T package driven by a lol in a pl, so I had to stop and talk with her for a moment. I asked her a few questions bout it, and she said she was the original owner. It had T badges on the fenders and a 3 spoke, leather wrapped, sport steering wheel with T horn button.
I thought the "t" option gave it different suspension and wheels too?