1987 grand national value?

Jackie grabos

Hello, new to this board. I am looking for a project car and have found an 87 gn. The body is in good shape and the engine was rebuilt and has less than 50 miles on according to seller. It has correct badging and rims are in good shape.The seller owns a repair shop and have seen the car out front for a few months now. The odometer shows 39,615. I am assuming it is 139,615. The inside has normal wear for a car this old, seats have power 6 badging and still firm. A little effort and should clean up nicely. I am going to test drive tomorrow. The owner wants 9000 for it. Is this a fair price? Also I was wondering how the suspension and transmission wear on the cars when driven normally and not ragged out. Also are there anythings I should specifically check as I am not too familiar with these but have always wanted one. You just do not see many of them anymore. Any help greatly appreciated and thanks-Jon

Who built the motor and trans? What's your budget for this project? Might be easier to spend the extra 11K you would have upgraded it with and buy a TSM or other fast car with all the mods for 20K now. Don't think for a second you are going to spend 9K on a GN and not be working on it.

I'd have to ask who built the engine as well. These cars need special attention and if wasn't done right, you'll end up with a money pit for sure. You'll have to define a "project." Are you just cleaning it up to make it a nice roadworthy car or are you going for a pavement shredder? It's a broad spectrum.

If it's a nice car needing minimal work, that sounds fairly reasonable. It's always good to get the price down if possible.. Look at the bottoms of the doors, check the lip of the trunk lid, check the RPO sticker in the trunk for proper codes of what you want in a car. Check the floor pan above the exhaust heat shields as well for rust/rot. If a T Top car, check the front sections by the windshield. And of course, make sure that engine is sound!

might want to a guy from the board or local to you or the car to take a look at it

i also prefer cars that are virgins. i have had a lot issues and mysteries with them

pics of engine

ok, first thanks for the advice from everyone. went and looked at the car today. interior is 6/10. headrest are faded but can be vacuumed out and cleaned. headliner is also good. steering wheel and shifter need to be recovered at some point down the line. looked under car no rust found and clean. no rust found anywhere on car. there is a slight crack on driver side window where it does not meet seal completly. the rims have badging and look almost new and tires have good tread. no melted rubber found in wheel wells or under rear bumper from racing. it has a scratch on driver rear quater panel but rest looks good and fillers are good at bumpers. the engine was blown up on test drive in houston. the entire engine was rebuilt at shop and has less than 50 miles on it. it has 131,000 miles and he wants 9000 for it. no oil on engine everything was clean. i am going to test drive tomorrow if it does not snow here. if it does will drive on sat. here are a few pics i took of the engine and will post more pics after test drive. thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• P2030018.jpg
    P2030018.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 231
  • P2030019.jpg
    P2030019.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 239
  • P2030020.jpg
    P2030020.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 225
I would have to question the rebuild. If I'm understanding correctly, the rebuild was done by the seller personally, correct? What did the rebuild encompass? By that I mean was there any machine work done? What do you mean when you say 'blown up on a test drive'? Broken crank, rod or piston? Or just a head gasket? Where in Houston are you? I see you just joined the site, any previous TR experience?

Hey, no previous experience. Looking for a second car and always wanted a gn. I live in magnolia, nw of Houston. The auto check comes back clean, no wrecks and car was in Florida until may of 2010. The guy owns a tire and auto repair shop. He said everything was new, pistons, rings heads etc. Will try to drive in the morning if weather permits. Think he is paranoid about people joyriding the car. How easy is it to blow up one of these cars engines?

drive

Just make sure the boost is not set to high, 13 - 15 would be ok not to blow it up again.