1985 GN loses power after it warms up.

Robert Dick

I recently purchased a 1985 GN that had been sitting since 2009. I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit changed the spark plugs and wires serviced and changed the fuel filter. I seemed to run ok until the other day after it warmed up it loses power. It acts like it wants to down shift and go but it just loses all its power. The car is bone stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
It sounds like you are describing a bog.
But only after it warms up?
But it runs ok cold?
You could get a can of MAF cleaner and clean
the MAF sensor. You can look up what the MAF sensor does online.
If that doesn't work, you may have to get an upgrade for your MAF.

It sounds like you are describing a bog.
But only after it warms up?
But it runs ok cold?
You could get a can of MAF cleaner and clean
the MAF sensor. You can look up what the MAF sensor does online.
If that doesn't work, you may have to get an upgrade for your MAF.
I cleaned the MAF last night but have not had a chance to drive it yet. But I will let you know of ot helped. Thank you for your time!

Something with going on w/ closed loop?
A scan tool should show the temp when this happens. Does this C/L temp match the onset of the problem?

Does the power loss get worse as u go into the throttle? eventually missing and even stalling?

check the wires going to the temp sender next to the thermostat housing: on my car, the insulation of the wires had shrank back to the point that the wires were touching, and it screwed with the ecm to make it run exactly how you described... my cousin's 84 Z/28 with the crossfire 305 did the exact same thing.