1982 Turbo Regal w/455 Stage 1 & turbo(?)

Major problems

well.....

I was doing the final mock up on the serp system and ran into a major problem. The additional length of the engine block pushed the power steering pump into the steering box. Not just a little bit either.

So, sfter some thinkin' I'm NOT going to be able to use this driveline in the GN body. So what I'll be doing is running the Stage 1 as a N/A motor.

On the flip side, I do have a second 455 & TH400 as well as a Vega with tube chassis. I could build that one after the GN project. Has a power rack & Mustang II suspension up front. That could be cool!

Wish this would have worked out. I now have most of the stuff I need to turbo any Buick engine maybe that turbo buick 350?

N/a 455

I should be able to finish most of the project this week! As for using the 455 brackets, I need everything on the driver side to make it work, so just going to finish it up as a BBB V8 project.

Project update

Ok, over the weekend I was able to make progress on putting this thing together. As I said previously, the idea of doing a replica 86/87 turbo set-up ran into problems due to the overall dimentions of a BBB. Specifically, the turbo height & serp system interfearence :(.

So, I'm switching gears and going back to "just" a 455 Stage 1 set-up. I was able to mount the engine and start doing the hook-ups. I built a non-a/c heater box (using Vega parts) to allow for some heat/defrost features (still appears to be a heater delete car. Still working out the details on that one.

The engine settled down nicely into the mounts, and has plenty of room to run an open element air cleaner. This week I will be back under the car to work on the hook-up and will run the dual exhaust from the GS out to the back. I'm installing a B&M shifter to control the TH400, but the rest of the interior is going to be "stock" turbo coupe issue. Cross member is out of a '67 GS400 and was modded to make the length work. The 68-72 unit is a better fit (fresh out :frown:), so if anyone else is thinking of going this route...

Still going to run a stock 7.5 in the back, but when I sell (or break it), I have a Ford 9" w/28 spline axles to send with it. I'm also updating the steering shaft to a Jeep unit and need to find a set of braided steel front brake lines to finish out the brakes in front.

Oh yeah, I also reinstalled the front clip last nite, glad I had help! :biggrin:

Later,

Jim

More hook up's

Did most of the hook up's on the top side this weekend. Leveled out the body & got ready to do the stuff on the bottom. Looking for the starter bolts (always seem to disappear) and trans lines. Exhaust is still hangin from the GS, so I will get to that this week as well.

I'm going to shoot pic's this week to show my progress. If all goes well, I should be able to start it this weekend (Jan 30). Then I'll need to figure out how to mount the BIG radiator (sticks up by an inch or so). Most likely will cut the bottom of the core support & drop it down to remain "stock" appearing.

Jim

I'm also getting ready to list out my turbo stuff. Send a PM if you need something.

Update 1/31/11

Over the weekend I was able to get the front clip back on the car. Still need to get it back on the ground to cinch down the core support.

I also got the trans mount aligned! everything is now centered in the tunnel, but I need a "long" TH 400 yoke to compensate for the difference in the driveline.

The last thing I got to was wet sanding the hood to remove overspray (primer?). I'm going to hit it with 1500, then my buffer. If it gets thin or needs more than a buff, ITs off to body shop with the spoiler.

Still working on the exhaust, final hook ups and cooling system. But a snow day is coming up on WED, so maybe I can get to some of this stuff then.

Jim

2/22/2011

Buffed entire car, installed the emblems & wheels. Now it's starting to look like something again. I also got a price on having the spoiler redone, guess I'll be doing that myself.

Got a "long" TH400 yoke, need to see how that is gonna work. Shouldn't be too big of a deal. I'd like to be doing final hook ups soon. I also put my '64 Nova up for sale on the nova board (BBC powered) as a project. It's a roller now.

This weekend

I'll be crawling under the car this weekend to do the D-shaft, exhaust & other junk. With a bit of luck, I'll have the hook up's finally done & the beast will get started!

My social director has stated that I need to finish up our basement as well. BUT honey, It's spring here in WI!

Thinkin' the car is gonna win out for at least part of the time :biggrin:

Progress !!!!

Well, I was able to get the car fired up today. Still need to do the exhaust and sort out the normal new car bugs. I also have to finish up the drive shaft, can't get too far without that one :eek:.

Off to the other home (Auto store) to visit the family again.....

Weekend update!

Well I was able to get some shop time in over the weekend. As previously stated I did get the car running. So this weekend I knocked out the following:

1. Got the D-shaft cut to length & installed

2. Installed the shifter cable (still need to do a final install on the console)

3. Figured out my charging system. I'll check out everything when I get home tonight. If I have a fully charged battery, then problem is SOLVED. If not, then I have an open circuit somewhere. (I hate wiring)

4. Fully installed the cooling system

5. Fully installed the trans, filled & ran all of the hook ups!

6. re-wrapped and routed all of the wiring

7. Replaced the fuel lines

Now, I still need to knock out running the exhaust. I need to finish dropping the rear end on the GS and pull out the brand new T/A Performance exhaust. Right now I need about 2-3" of clearance to get everything out. I pulled the shocks and dropped out the 12 bolt, but found that I need to pull the upper control arms to gain that last little bit. Oh well.

Then I will need to run through the front suspension one last time. Make sure all is tight after stripping it down (twice). I also bought braided brake lines, and can't find them. I know that they are in the shop, somewhere....

Of course the very last item is a final buff & wax. Take care of a few nicks & scratches and run a stripe (very suttle) to match the interior. I'll see about posting some pics here soon.

Jim

Last Night

Well I only was able to get in 45 min last night, but was able to get a big problem sorted out. The bug was an SAE power steering pump on the engine and a metric steering box.

Had a couple options here:

1. have a custom line made - $80-$100 bucks at a local shop

2. get an adapter for the PS box & goof around with installing it - $40 bucks

3. put a metric fitting in the SAE box - free

So, I hunted around in the shop and found my '86 G20 Van PS pump and robbed the fitting off of the back. This is a direct replacement for the SAE fitting that was on the pump. The internal threads are the same and length is spot on.

I'm still hoping to have the car ready for aa test drive this weekend. I guess we'll see if I can get it done and finish trimming out the basement (keepin' the wife happy). Really close and I'd like to be done with this one!

Next up is my '64 Nova, That one is getting close (if you see where it started from).

Jim

Pic's - need help

So, how exactly do I put up pic's on this site? I got it to work once, now I can't seem to figure it out.....my oldtimer's is showing again.

Getting close

Got my black bumpers installed this week. Still need to align the front sheet metal, but really close now!

Attachments

• P3010009.JPG
    P3010009.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 342
  • P3010010.JPG
    P3010010.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 362
  • P3010012.JPG
    P3010012.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 342
more pics

more ....